heartworm meds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
My vet said that there is no longer a tablet for heartguard, only the flavored chunks. My dogs will not eat those and I just end up breaking the giant log in to pieces and shoving each piece down their throats. Several other products I looked at are also flavored chunks that say not to give whole. There is nothing one of my dogs would eat in any form and all medicine has to be shoved down her. Is there another brand of heartworm medicine we can get that is in smaller tablets? Otherwise I may just start measuring out liquid ivermectin to squirt down them. We will probably go back to revolution next year to avoid this problem but I have 6 months of frontline here to use up which is about $120 worth.

I also saw nuheart over the counter from australia. Does anyone know anything about it and if it's legit? I also worry some about shipping something that far when we are about to hit summer heat.

Akane-- use the Ivermectin--mix with honey or PB, (bitter taste!!!) let 'em lick it off the spoon! Or, Inject it SubQ

Zami won't eat honey or peanut butter. Zami only eats things that are mostly meat except a few brands of dry dog biscuit. She will not eat anything with fake flavoring. Even if that means refusing all food for more than a week.

My dogs have learned to feel treats for suspicious lumps. They learned it from the numerous squeaky toys we have always given them. It is impossible to sneak medication into them in the usual ways and being coonhounds they are so flexible and agile you might as well try to medicate a monkey blindfolded and using one hand - you'll have more success. I found a way that works every time. I appeal to their sense of "it's mine, all mine and you can't have any". What I do is make sure there is at least one other dog in the room. I prepare 2 treats for each dog. The meds go in the first treat. In full view of the other dog hold both treats and make sure the dog you want to medicate knows you are holding 2 treats. Start to offer the medicated treat and right behind it, start offering the 2nd treat to the same dog. It will gulp down the medicated one with out hesitation in order to get the 2nd treat. Then give 2 treats to the other dog. With my dogs it works every time.

Works great with our shiba but doesn't work with the akita because the shiba would never dare take food from her. No one will dare take food from her. She will set the first treat down on the ground to go over it while the other dog sits there watching and making no move to take the treat. In fact I just threw some pizza toppings on the akita's bed across the room from her and 2' from the other dog. The other one did not even move while she slowly made her way to her bed and went over the toppings to decide what if anything was edible. She won't attempt to catch either because she knows the food can hit the ground for cleaning up at leisure instead. It was amusing when we fostered a shiba who didn't understand these rules. He went to take a bone and she used both paws to roll him upside down, laid down on him, and nipped his belly till he screamed and I told her to let him go. She knew she'd get in trouble for actually harming him but she made darn sure he wouldn't touch her stuff twice.

Back