At what age do you breed back?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bucks are ready as soon as their testicles drop. :)
I like to rebreed the doe when her previous litter is 10 weeks old, but there is ALOT of wiggle room there. I have rebred when the litter is four weeks and weaned at six, and just now I bred a doe and the previous litter is currently at eight weeks.
ETA: Many will reccommend a longer wait period which is altogether better for the doe, but my doe gets BEASTLY when she isn't bred or on a litter, and so, as long as I can keep litters moving out, I can continue making more babies and she stays happy, for what it's worth...

Great. Thanks. I need to check my Mini rex buck to see if his testicles have dropped. I'm thinking about waiting till the babies are 6 weeks old to breed back my doe, then wean them at 8 weeks.

With Mini Rex since they are a small breed I won't let a doe have more then 3 litters a year.

Mini Rex bucks seem ready to breed much earlier on then other breeds. I've had bucks successfully breed at 2 months. Usually whenever they have their testicles they're ready to go.

Bucks with the mini rex breed usually can breed fairly early.

With my does - i dont usually breed back when she is still on a litter. I like her to have some off time. If your breeding back at 6 weeks - thats a lot of litters a year. I would start weaning and selling pet stock at 5 - 6 weeks, and leave kits with the doe no longer than 8. Than i like to give her at least a few weeks open. Breed her back when she has her full condition again. If i plan on showing them, they dont get bred much either.

DevonW":iv5ookkv said:
With Mini Rex since they are a small breed I won't let a doe have more then 3 litters a year.

Mini Rex bucks seem ready to breed much earlier on then other breeds. I've had bucks successfully breed at 2 months. Usually whenever they have their testicles they're ready to go.

Himalayans are give or take about the same size as MR, and I'd like to give her more time off but my doe presents a real problem. The other day my mom reached in to try and pet her and she grabbed hold of her knuckle and would not let go. These two weeks whe's been off her litter have been hell, everyone is afraid to feed her. :lol: She grunts, she lunges, she steals the food scoop... :roll: It's kinda silly, but the day after we bred her again (Tuesday) She was back to her normal, lovely self.

Back