d'argent genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it born pink or brown? The true reds are born pink almost the same as a REW. Slight orange-ish cast from peach fuzz coming in. Agoutis have the seal back and pink belly. It looks like a smutty orange to me, but if it had agouti coloring at birth then it is just modifiers I think--I had one agouti that has a really cinnamon red cast to it.

Hey peeps

on the site rabbitcolors.info, it shows 3 different types of the silvering gene, s1, s2, and s3, phenotypically s3 being the most silvered and s1 the least.

Other than it being apparently dominant (right Devon?), what else is there to know? The differences between s1, s2 and s3, they're just modifiers, right?

I'd like to introduce the si gene into dwarf lops, but I don't want to mess around with s1 and s2, I want the nice full kind like the Kleinsilber hell rabbit, or the Argenté de Champagne.

If I brought a Kleinsilber hell doe (presumably s3 then) into my rabbitry and crossed her with a black buck, what would I get in F1? And then in F2 if I crossed a buck from that litter with its mum? In terms of silvering I mean.

Thanks!!

Eclipse, Devon has some picture posted here somewhere, of a half Argente half harlequin doe who is fairly silvered; her offspring are even more so as they are 75% Argente Brun. It is quite noticeable in the first cross. You do have your work cut out for you as you will then have to get the ears and crown lopped properly again! Good Luck!

Some of mine silvered. Some never did. Some barely did. This is definitely not a gene that is just dominant or recessive. Something else is going on.

Devon's Mom Lauren":1hb8yx1c said:
Eclipse, Devon has some picture posted here somewhere, of a half Argente half harlequin doe who is fairly silvered; her offspring are even more so as they are 75% Argente Brun. It is quite noticeable in the first cross. You do have your work cut out for you as you will then have to get the ears and crown lopped properly again! Good Luck!

Thanks! have been looking around, went throught the rabbit ramblings but haven't found it. I watched the video tour of Devon's rabbitry though! =) would it be Scarlett by any chance?

Scarlett was the mother of the doe in question...
todays%20060.JPG

This is her last year. you can see a lot of silvering but not as much as a pure Argente.
DSC_0229.JPG

This is a pure young Argente Brun

Back