Kindling complications - emergency.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse L

Reaction score
I bought this doe bred - she is one my best does. She was due Yesterday - and she did kindled last night, with complications, 2 DOA. So thats good - she got them out. Now, i went out to do bunnies tonight and there was another dead kit on the wire ( i had taken the nest box away ). I decided to take her out and palpate her - and turns out, there is still another kit inside her. Its rather large. Its not started to come out - and she is no longer conracting. Its been in her almost 12 hours after she went into labor ( correct terminology? ).

She has also lost her appetite and not drinking.

What can i do? If there is anything?

Help , anything, please!

Calcium may help, if you can get it into her. A ready source is a TUMS antacid tablet. Make sure it is a calcium antacid... some other brands use other ingredients. Some rabbits will just eat the tablet; or others you may need to crush it and mix with water and syringe it into her.

If you don't have TUMS or equivalent, some yogourt may also help... lots of calcium in it and it is usually well tolerated by rabbits.

As a last resort, to expel the contents of the uterus, some lavender flowers (dried is fine) can be used. Just a couple of sprigs because it is strong medicine. Sage leaves may also help if you don't have lavender.

Good luck with her, Jesse. Hope she manages without too much intervention. You may have to assist her if the kit presents but will not pass. I have no experience with this, but I understand you wash your hands really well, trim your nails short and lubricate your fingers with KY jelly or vaseline before trying to help ease the kit out. I hope someone who has actually done this will come along with better directions... I have never faced this situation so you are just getting what I have read here and there.

Ok thanks Maggie :)

Ive done it before - help pull a kit out. THis kit has not started to come out yet - so i can do nothing to assist.

I will give her a TUMS ( i have lots ) and hope that shes passed it by morning :(

I was going to suggest the tums too. I keep tubes of a product called Calsorb on hand for my dogs, would work on a rabbit in a pinch too, its a calcium supplement. Good luck, I hope she passes the kit. If she doesn't all hope is not lost, does have been known to carry mummified kits with few ill effects, sometimes passing them during breeding or with a litter conceived in the other horn. Sounds weird but it does happen.

Glad to hear she passed it. Something fresh like a slice of apple or carrot or a bit of parsley will likely tempt her appetite. If she's not drinking, perhaps offering her some weak tea or a flavoured electrolyte solution (as well as plain water) will encourage her to take fluids.

You can get electrolytes at the grocery store (I believe its called Pediasure)but gatorade works as well id you can't get the pediasure, just to prevent dehydration. :)

Excellant!!! Its sad but good to hear. I know it stinks to lose the litter but at least you still have your doe. I often smear a little peanut butter on an apple slice to get a rabbit to eat, very few rabbits can resist the smell of PB. I second the electrolytes, pedialyte will work great. I use the multi animal pac stuff made by Durvet, I get it in TSC for under $4 for 8 ounces. Its electrolytes and vitamins. I'd mix a half teaspoon in a half gallon or water, can do a whole teaspoon as well. If she really won't drink I'd syringe fluids into her, to keep her from getting dehydrated.

:( So sorry you lost the whole litter, Jesse! But I'm really glad you were able to save the doe... the people here are so wonderfully helpful!!!

Back