Well... snot!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
Went in to check on everybunny tonight and Leia sneezed out a big glob of white snot..*sigh*..guess this buys her a one way ticket to freezer camp. We have isolated her and the babies, they are two weeks old. Will start transitioning them with hay and oatmeal softened with milk. On side note, we already culled Cupcake, she just was getting worse. It was not pretty. Hubby had to do a manual dislocation and did it just a little too hard. Her head practically came off and her back legs kicked around in circles like crazy. Don't really want to try that again. At least it was quick for Cupcake. Really bothered my poor hubs...Anyway, I have offered to "do the deed" for Leia when the kits are weaned. Think I will use a high powered pellet gun. Hopefully, at least some of her kits will be resistant and no bunny else will get sick. We realized after the fact that we swapped water bottle between her and Cupcake, so I think that is why she got sick. Bad thing is that she will be almost two weeks preggo when we cull her...bummer. On a lighter note, I may be getting an Altex buck if I can find a way to get him from Corpus to Beaumont, or at least Houston, without breaking the bank. All in all, I am ok. It was not what I wanted to happen, but then again, they are being bred for a specific purpose.

still bites though.

and yes, it can be disconcerting when you pull hard enough to remove the head. saves the step of cutting it off though. :)

That's a real shame... Whoever sold you Cupcake has a lot of answer for. It probably was the water bottles and with a little luck (and you're certainly due for some) it will not go any further.

Sorry to hear about poor Cupcake and Leia :( Hopefully the losses stop here, and the rest of your herd proves to be hardy and resistent stock. You caught things pretty early and learned an important lesson in rabbit husbandry, and sometimes those lessons are learned the hard way.....trust me, I have been there. I know it is also an especially hard hit for those of us who keep small herds. Chin up, you have attractive kits, a whole rabbit community behind you and the gumption to take some hits and still move forward.

Hugs :grouphug:

ChopSuey":1xncsvku said:
Sorry to hear about poor Cupcake and Leia :( Hopefully the losses stop here, and the rest of your herd proves to be hardy and resistent stock. You caught things pretty early and learned an important lesson in rabbit husbandry, and sometimes those lessons are learned the hard way.....trust me, I have been there. I know it is also an especially hard hit for those of us who keep small herds. Chin up, you have attractive kits, a whole rabbit community behind you and the gumption to take some hits and still move forward.

Hugs :grouphug:

Thanks, Sue and Everyone! :thankyou: I really appreciate all your encouragement. Actually, I am doing ok with it. As you say, I have learned a LOT, mostly about quarantine protocols. I am getting a new doe from a local gal that I trust and will make sure to quarantine her for a complete month. We are NOT swapping any bottles or feeders without disinfecting and use hand sanitizer when going from one rabbit to the next. We are treating Leia with Tylan50, 1cc a day for three days, just to keep her from snotting on the kits too bad. Hopefully some of them will be resistant. The others seem ok so far. I am checking everybunny daily for snot, eye goop, matting on paws, etc. Praying that the BUG stops here!

Wow so very sorry for what you've been through. One good thing about it though, is that you are learning a lot!!! That can only be a benifit for you and your buns in the future. :) You've got a great attitud:D

Latest posts

Back