Reposting because it is a new question... sort of...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatzNetherlands

Reaction score
I had posted that my buck didn't fall off but still had 'the look'... I was really hoping I would get a more definite answer by putting them back together again a few hours later, but nothing. No interest, no nothing. He sniffed her and groomed and then went and laid down. She started eating his food and then laid down and went to sleep... I pulled her out, and tried again a few hours later.... same thing....

So, do you think he got the job done the first time? Or was it just an over excitement and chances are she is not pregnant?(btw, she was kind of a medium pink color when I put her in the first time, back to pale pink each time after)

I hate to have to wait 4 weeks to find out she isn't....

Do they ever go in the mood, get the job done, and then just show no interest?

I am sorry for asking this if it is a dumb question.... I just am afraid to keep trying if she did get pregnant... I don't want two different aged litters...

There is no guarantee, but I have heard that sometimes if the doe has been successfully bred, they may not show much interest second time around. Did you notice what the doe was doing while the buck was mounting her? Typically, just before the buck finishes, the doe will lift her hindquarters allowing him access. If you saw this happen, I'd say that she is likely bred.

I hope Maggie is right.

If the doe is not interested that is one thing... if the buck isn't, you need a different buck.

They will often show less interest after accomplishing mating, including the buck. Some bucks won't even try if they have bred recently and the doe doesn't seem interested. I do prefer the bucks who are ready to go at it irregardless. They get the job done a lot faster, don't get discouraged with difficult does, and you can breed more does closer together.

Rabbit breeding is a lot of waiting unless you get good at palpating around the 2week mark and then you can cut your wait time in half. Otherwise you just cross your fingers because sometimes even if everything looks like it went right you get no kits. Other times you are ready to try rebreeding but throw a nest box in just for the heck of it and get a huge litter.

This is my bucks first time trying, so I am not ready to give him up over this... She just layed there.. where in previous times, she would run or 'thump', or even go after him... this time, she just layed down and let him do his thing... Now she is back to running from him if he even goes near her... He is just not showing interest...

I think he will be more into it as he gets older.... I guess if it doesn't work this time, than we will try it again!

I palpate or test breed in two weeks.I know people are going too say dont because you could get two seperate litters .I have never ever had that happen with Dwarfs.I always test bred at two weeks untill i learned too palpate.If i saw them breed.if im not positivr she bred i keep trying.I have raised Netherland Dwarfs since 1979.

Back