Feeding Herbs - Book Recommendations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy2511

Reaction score
I am hoping to learn more about specific herbs and their uses for rabbits,
and hopefully, even grow a few of my own this year. For those of you who
are familiar with this, could you recommend any good books on the topic?

I'd like to find a few good books on herbs in regard to raising rabbits, but please
recommend books/sources that really know what they are talking about! :)
Or if you are familiar with any other good, common sense books on rabbit raising,
those recommendations would be welcome as well!

:bunnyhop:

And if you personally feed herbs, what has worked for you?! :)

michaels4gardens":2a1tlmfv said:
If you seach this site, there is an extensive list of herbs.
and comments on the suitability of them as feed...

I'm sure that there is; I should take some time to explore those posts. Thank you for the reminder and the links. :)

What I'd like to find though are some well-supported/knowledgeable books on the topic.
Both for my own reading and as resources in my personal library.

__________ Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:23 pm __________

I found this recommendation from MSD in one of the threads:

MamaSheepdog":2a1tlmfv said:
I'd like to recommend an excellent book to everybody- "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" by Carla Emery has been an invaluable resource for me. It covers everything you need to know regarding animals and plants, from primitive non powered methods to modern methods. She has a list of foods found to be safe for rabbits, as well as ones to avoid.

I'll have to look into it!

post46234.html?hilit=book%20on%20herbs#p46234

I don't have a book to recommend, but I can tell you herbs we've fed to our rabbits (raised for meat). When I need to cut back herbs to keep them producing tender new leaves, we often feed the trimmings to our rabbits. We've given them parsley, borage, oregano, lemon balm, basil, and dill. During the growing season they often get dill in the mix of fresh forage because we let it self seed in our vegetable garden where it attracts a parasitic wasp that has eliminated potato beetles from our garden. We also offer lavender to does that don't kindle on time or that seem to have trouble kindling. And we feed trimmings from mint and sage, but not to lactating does.

Teddy2511":btz8meyx said:
Thank you for sharing from your experience, Rainey. :)

You seem to grow quite a few herbs. Do you have any tips on caring for an herb garden?

I find many herbs quite easy to grow. Many don't require very rich soil or much water, but most need full sun. So it helps to have a good spot. Then I like to make it as easy as possible--like leaving some parsley to go to seed, then laying the plants down where I would like parsley next year. I used to hate trying to start it from seed in pots. It also helps to divide or layer perennials to renew plants that are getting crowded or sprawling. And I like have the extra plants that produces to give to other people who want to grow herbs. Don't know if that helps at all. Depends on what you want to grow and the space you have.

Thank you for sharing your tips and experience, Rainey!

I have opted to try growing a few plants for my first year:
- Mint
- Peppermint
- Lemon Balm
- Parsley
- Thyme

I also found an article from years gone by that I had forgotten about...
http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.co ... dherbs.php
It lists out quite a few herbs and their uses.

Is anyone familiar with Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits? Does it go into
feeding herbs and what they are used for?

... Is anyone familiar with Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits? Does it go into
I have the older version, and I have read the new one from the library. Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits does not discuss herbs. It used to be called Raising Rabbits the Modern Way, and Bob Bennett strongly suggests in it you simplify things and feed a pellet-based diet. He does list some guidelines for a more natural diet, but not much.

Is anyone familiar with Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits? Does it go into
I have the latest edition. I don't recommend the book at all. Missing a lot of pertinent information, in my opinion and glosses over too many topics without enough in-depth info. Nothing about anything but pellets, for the most part, to the point you'd think the author worked for the pellet companies.

I have the latest edition. I don't recommend the book at all. Missing a lot of pertinent information, in my opinion and glosses over too many topics without enough in-depth info. Nothing about anything but pellets, for the most part, to the point you'd think the author worked for the pellet companies.

Yes, I prefer the book by Eric and Callene Rapp, Raising Rabbits for Meat. Every author has their own methods, but it seems this book is more up to date.

Latest posts

Back