Register

My crazy sheep idea- All the animal crazy, all the time!

Dogs and Cats, Other Pets, Poultry and Livestock. If it's yours and it runs, flies, swims or crawls, post about it here.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,175.00

Re: My crazy sheep idea- All the animal crazy, all the time!

Post Number:#46  Unread postby GBov » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:56 pm

The outfit sounds lovely, anytime I make anything my family nabs it. :roll:

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,077.00

Post Number:#47  Unread postby ohiogoatgirl » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:13 pm

Thanks GBov! I've been dressing like a weirdo forever so most people are past trying to make a big deal about it :roll: And on the plus side it keeps siblings from clothes stealing lol! My sisters are forever battling over stolen clothes and they have their own houses now filled with clothes :shock: Beats me. Except my winter coat, all my clothes fit into two loads of laundry.

I am getting three piglets from the neighbor. Turns out they decided not to stay with pig breeding so once their current sows farrow they are working to get out of it as soon as they can. I'm really hoping training these pigs to electric goes well. Because I'd love to get a few female piglets from their litters and do my own breeding. Pigs are simple to AI so I wouldn't need to keep a boar around. And I have lots of places to rotate pigs through. If I had two sows I should be able to breed twice a year, raise some for myself, and sell the rest of the piglets. But I need some proof in the pudding with these first.
I've done some adjustments in the shed, which I've wintered the sheep in once, and was previously a wood shed. Ran some slab wood along the wood wall, so the pigs will rub on that and not the actual wall. Then built a gate out of more slab wood and screwed it in place at the doorway. With a cement block on the outside it's workable for me to step over but should keep the pigs in good. There is also a piece of cattle panel tied up that worked as a gate for the sheep. If I pull that closed it works like a half wall plus gate, in case for some reason the pigs did get their feet up on the half wall.

I'll let the pigs settle in for a while. Then setup some electric wire along the inside to train them to it. That way there is a solid wall behind it and they can't run off. They go oh this is new, touch it with their nose, and get a big zap! Run squealing. Hopefully in a week they should be trained to it and go "ok that's the wire that hurts, don't touch, stay inside, don't touch the wire". It's a method Joel Salatin uses and has popularized.
Can I get back all that spare time I used to have?

https://www.instagram.com/girlwalkswithgoats/

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,175.00

Post Number:#48  Unread postby GBov » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:43 am

Pigs are smart, not as smart as people let on but certainly smart enough to only touch a wire twice.

They can't see very well so give them a visual, either plastic bags tied onto the wire, or colored flags or something of the like. The easier it is to see, the faster they will learn.

Pigs are great, yummmmmmmy!

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,077.00

Post Number:#49  Unread postby ohiogoatgirl » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:33 pm

Freedom ranger chicks came in this morning. All doing good. Settled into the trough brooder. Have the cage brooder ready to just plug in the heat plate.
I'm watching the tracking on them. Last updated in MN. Fingers crossed. I can't do anything until they get here so trying not to worry.

Dad went to town today so I had him pick me up two bags of pig feed. That should last me a bit before I need to make a feed run. I want to get them here and settling in as soon as possible.

__________ Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:33 pm __________

Here is the meat birds on arrival day.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNITC0VpzCw/

The second batch of chicks came. There was heavy losses. I was refunded for the chicks that died. I bought some more from TSC as replacements. I've had a few losses since but they are doing good overall. Need to get some update pics/video.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNTlFhvJoOg/

On the 11th I brought the pigs home. They've been doing good. I'm letting them settle in a few days. Soon I'll set up a training wire in the shed for the pigs to learn about the electric wire. After about a week I'll set up hotwire inside of the permanent sheep fence. The pigs *should* be trained to the electric but the permanent fence will be a nice second layer of keeping them in and getting them used to it and having ground to work. I'm excited to get them moving and broadcast the cover crop behind them.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNjWZ-0pXNw/

Yesterday I let the ewes into the big paddock for a few hours and lured them back in the evening. Wanted them to go back and eat hay to balance their guts. The new grass is high protein and moisture. They need some dry matter to keep them from getting the runs. Today I set up the netting and let them into the silo paddock. They'll be on this for max 3 days.
It was nice out so I set up the hotwire (4 strand) in the big paddock to divide it roughly in half. They'll go there next.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNqvbK0p9h_/

I'm keeping track of the feed usage of the chicks. There is all 26 Freedom Rangers (meat) doing great and they went through about twice as much feed. The mixed chicks are just now really increasing how much feed they eat. There is 5 of the mixed chicks that are like 3x the weight of the rest.
Can I get back all that spare time I used to have?

https://www.instagram.com/girlwalkswithgoats/

Previous