Register

Color-fast paintable dyes for rabbit furs?

Keeping rabbits for their wool and methods of using it.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,175.00

Color-fast paintable dyes for rabbit furs?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GBov » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:10 pm

I know that Bluekote will dye a white hide purple - then the rabbit sadly became a hide - and, 9 years on, it's still the same color :lol: so I know it can be done.

But any internet search I do is just confusing so thought I would ask here instead.

Sharpy marker does NOT work - internet suggestion number 1 - epic fail.

Is there a paint on, color-fast dye, that can be used on rabbit hides, without soaking them in the dye?

I have seen many amazingly dyed hides, all leopard spots or tiger stripes, and they clearly have not been simply soaked in a vat.

1 year of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 230.00

Re: Color-fast paintable dyes for rabbit furs?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby CanineWild » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:45 am

There are certainly colored liquid alcohol and acrylic inks which are quite waterproof on paper. I expect they'd be so on hides as well, though I'm not sure how it would behave otherwise given the way they coat a surface. Might make the fur clumpy? Particularly acrylic... Just an idea if you happened to have any to play with ;)

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,918.00

Re: Color-fast paintable dyes for rabbit furs?

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Zass » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:12 am

Rit dyes can be painted or airbrushed on, and rinsed out. I haven't played with it too much, however, I've seen some experiments done by others.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
GBov