Attention Sheep Breeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewZealands4Lyfe

Reaction score
Hey! I go by Horse, You've probably seen me around, but I come to you fellow sheep breeders with a question; what's the deepest bond you have ever had with a bottle baby? I had two this year and the little ewes wouldn't stop following me around and would scream (Not bleat, scream) for me if I put them with their herd. even after I weaned them and I expected for them to be herd bound, that bond is still there and still unbreakable! My years of breeding I have never had a lamb like this, let alone two. The first we named Miracle, her mom had toxemia so we put the ewe down and saved one lamb. Two days later our best ewe has triplets, one dies from complications and a second was severely chilled. Four hours and a worn-out hairdryer later, a rejected baby. My mom (who has been breeding for 30 years) was 100% sure that lamb was gonna die, so she got the name Lucky. And here we are, 10 months later, still healthy and happy! We joke that Lucky should be named Miracle because I was the only one holding out hope to save her. I'm happy we did!!!

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 8.34.17 PM.png

This was Mable, Miracle's mom

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 8.35.33 PM.png

This is Miracle 10 minutes after being born
Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 8.36.46 PM.png

And this is week-old Lucky!

I've had some really personable animals. It's always fun to have one who will trot up to you for scritchies.

Did you ever get them integrated into the herd?

We only have two sheep and they're both pretty much nose-in-your-pocket kinda sheep. The little ram requires petting, it's kinda hard to get anything done when he leans on folks so he can get scritches. The ewe is a bit more standoffish, she won't lean on folks and demand pets like the ram does. Wish they were smaller sheep!

backgate.jpg

Latest posts

Back