How do I increase Litter Size?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
I bought a doe pregnant (without knowing it) and she had 4 babies. With me, she's had 3, then 1, and now 3 again. Another doe I have (On I kept from the unknown pregnancy) had 2. I feed Bar Ale, 16% protein. The breed is holland lops so I don't expect big litters but I'm getting frustrated. A friend just had her does kindle 11 each (same breed) and most people seem to be having 6 or 7. I get normally about 5 or 6 fall offs. What am I doing wrong?

golden rabbitry":2d7yrjut said:
I've had litters of 1 when I used to have more, does anyone know what'd help? Am I doing something wrong?

In the big picture ,
-litter size is mostly genetics..
It can be reduced by bucks with low sperm count,
or Does that are under or over weight.
Selection of quality breed stock , is the most important
factor in litter size, and weaning weights.

fat does will be less productive.
heat will affect how well a buck will work.

Are you holland lops true to type and sitting at 3.5 lbs or they longer bodied pet types? The smaller typier lops tend to have less babies due to their short bodies and smaller size. Exceptions exist.

I understand your frustration with only getting one kit per litter, but three might be reasonable for them.

If does are producing less then
... check their feed intake
... check the quality of food given.
... be mindful of temperatures and how that might affect the buck

Check the health of the rabbits, if they have something like Vent Disease, that can lower the amount of litters as well as the number in the litters.

Try adding some supplements to their feed such as Black Oil Sunflower Seeds or perhaps some oatmeal. Also when a doe is bred, feed her more.

Back