Looking for a word of advice.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksnow

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm just looking for some opinions on a matter that I've been avoiding thinking about but it needs to be addressed.
For the past 2 years, I have been blessed with a half English lop/velveteen lop buck named Ollie. He was my first rabbit getting back into the hobby just as a pet and a helpline for emotional support. Throughout my personal life, he's been there through a lot and really all I feel like I have sometimes. This summer, he had a UTI which I brought him to the vet for. While there, the vet had informed me that he had developed malocclusion. I know he was not born with it, and it just appeared out of nowhere. I didn't panic much and just figured I could maintain them myself easily. But I was so wrong. The first time his teeth got a considerable length, my father and I cut them with a saw which was hard in itself. Ollie hadn't been handled much or at all as a kit and since I got him we have worked but he did not enjoy the cutting one bit and made us aware. Since then, we have tried multiple times to cut them but he will fight with his everything. It has been impossible to cut them, and one of his teeth even chipped. He has gotten slimmer and just doesn't seem enthusiastic about anything anymore. While I was at the vet, they said teeth removal would be possible, with a $1,700 quote.. I don't know how great his quality of life would be without the teeth. I cannot afford that and even then surgery is very risky.. I do not know what to do. I realize that maybe putting him down may be an option that may be the best for him. But I also feel like I am taking away his young life.

I am sorry if I ramble here, but I am looking for some guidance for a direction to take. Thank you.

a saw isn't an appropriate tool
A dremel on the other hand...

Wrap Ollie up tightly in towel or a long sleeve shirt sleeve. Enough that he has some wiggle room but not enough that he can wiggle fight.

Figure out how to keep his mouth stable and safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOHOghquWJk does a good job of explaining and showing what to do.

reward your bunny afterwards with their favourite treat. Most cut their teeth once or twice a month.

In particularly difficult situations, I use a wire cutters (the small kind referred to as "dykes") to snap the teeth quickly and painlessly. Wrap tightly in a towel and if possible, keep the head positioned so pieces fall away. I had an older buck live well for 2 years on this method.

Best of luck with your beloved bunny.

Latest posts

Back