Conflicting info on dominance with Harlequin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoRay

Reaction score
Hi, I have purchased a Harlequin Holland Lop Orange and Black and started doing more research about the color Harlequin, not knowing that she was not a desired coloring due to her price from the rabbitry, which I think was misleading. I hadn't planned to breed her, but it has come up in conversation.

I've read that their genes are not dominant and have read that they are.

Can the Harlequin be eliminated when bred? She came from a Blue Point and a Chestnut VM.
What colors could she breed with that would eliminate, or a possible elimination?

Is her line basically shot for any type of show quality?

Harlequin is dominant to non-extension (tort, orange, sable point/blue point, frosty, etc), and recessive to steel and full extension.

You can breed it out; if you breed to a tort or other non-extension color, you'll get a mix of harlequin and non-extension and the non extension babies can't carry harlequin. If you breed it to, say, a black or chestnut then they will likely carry harlequin.

You can also breed broken into harlequin lines; a broken harlequin is a tricolor, which is showable.

we can't tell you if her lines will be good for show quality without seeing the actual rabbit.

Harlequin might not be showable, but tricolour is. Harlequin are much more common in Holland lops because of their usefulness in a tricolour breeding program. So you may wish to find a good quality broken or tricolour and work your way into a tricolour breeding program. Tricolours are shown in the broken class.

Other then commonly statet the eJ is dominant to E. The dark japanese parts resemble steel/dominant black and therefore are also visible on an agouti background. The light parts have no receptor at all and are recessive to all e alleles. a truebreeding japanese eJeJ should not show a difference between aa (torted japanese) and A.

Latest posts

Back