Buck Won't Breed the Does?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mero2305

Reaction score
So for some reason, my buck won't mount my does. I have only have one buck and two does that that I breed him to. I have had some pretty good litters with nice markings from him and don't want to get rid of him, he is a little under a year so he's not old, he has bred some of my does in winter so not the light hopefully, I honestly have no idea what's going on with him. he's healthy has nothing wrong with him, he's not over nor underweight, something with me does. I looked around online for what could be going on and found nothing really useful so I came back here and also found nothing...So any ideas?

Also, I have been doing research for a year and never came across anything like this cause usually, it's the doe that doesn't want to be bred. And whenever I put a doe in his cage he'll become more interested in the hay laying around his cage and basically all they'll do for the next half hour is eat groom and nothing really. I have tried this with both does and always the same results but every now and then he will come and mount them but then just get off them and resume whatever it was that he was doing.

michaels4gardens":nnuz3x1d said:
If he seems hesitant after getting on.. then gets back off...
check his penis, and sheath to see if there is inflamation,
or hair stuck in there.
Check his testicals for imflamation or abnormality.
I did, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it.

__________ Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:35 am __________

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ENJhQMNJCJmRWQGA

My buck gets interested when the doe starts running around, don't know why but it helps when breeding first time bucks

golden rabbitry":3kfg1pv2 said:
My buck gets interested when the doe starts running around, don't know why but it helps when breeding first time bucks
The does will usually start to run around him right when I put them in his cage but this isn't his first time which is confusing me cause if that was the case it would be more understandable so sadly not that. :(

Add some grain or black oil sunflower seeds to his diet? He sounds like he needs a little pepping up. Does he get any exercise? Putting the pair in a larger exercise area may help.

Add some grain or black oil sunflower seeds to his diet?
Was going or thinking of doing that but my mom said that human food is not going to be for the rabbits sadly.

Does he get any exercise?
Yes he does but not as much any more because my mom deep cleaned the area where they normally would be running around in. So not really any more. :(

So I found this online

There is a so called shy buck syndrome that happens to some bucks as they do not seem interested in mounting the doe’s, they just want to hang out and check out the the doe and her cage. Some bucks are just not aggressive breeders! The buck may have had some unsatisfactory experiences early on from being bred before he was mature enough. He may have had a mean doe attack him and did not get the reinforcement of a completed breeding, he may have lost interest or confidence. If you have one of these shy bucks, try to build up their interest and confidence by only breeding them with older willing does. After a few of these breedings, the shy buck is often ready to breed any doe.*

And I tried something thinking that might have something to do with what is going on, and I put one doe with him all day and at night, did that again with my other doe, then put the first doe in just to see and make sure he will breed them, and guess what.........HE BRED HER IN LIKE NOT EVEN 5 MINUTES!!!
I feel like this is something very strange to be happy about but ya for some reason I am actually very happy. :)

*Here’s the link https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/0 ... and-cures/

Of course, you are happy, solving a problem is always so satisfying! :D

I was going to suggest an extra large cage and a pair living together for three weeks. That has always worked for me with a slow buck.

GBov":3g34qlnl said:
Of course, you are happy, solving a problem is always so satisfying! :D

I was going to suggest an extra large cage and a pair living together for three weeks. That has always worked for me with a slow buck.

I have put does that had not had a litter for 6 months,in a grassy fenced yard with a
"sleepy" buck to chase them around.
Just to see if I could get them in "breeding shape" in a few weeks...
I was thinking I would not have to worry about any "undoccumented breedings" for a while.
I was wrong.
The uninterested "sleepy" buck, and the unwilling does, started breeding in 5 minutes..

That is so funny M4G and how typical of bunnies!

I had a doe once that would not lift if she could be seen and was fast as lightning at getting "done" as soon as my back was turned. It took almost a year for me to figure out how to get her bred and a live litter from her.

Of course, as is so totally typical, I figured her out, and then she died. :roll:

Latest posts

Back