Register

Ear mites scourge!

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,042.00

Ear mites scourge!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ohiogoatgirl » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:52 am

Ok yall I'm losing my mind! I will be building a stand for multiple cages. If I run a torch over my cages will that sanitize them? I thought I really had it kicked with the VetRx drops in olive oil. Cleared up fast and seemed to stay gone. I think I need to keep up afterwards with a few drops of the VetRx in the ear after it's gone. Like once a week maybe.

I need to get my doe still. After ending up with two bucks :evil: And I'm seriously considering leaving the bucks where they are and having the doe move to the new setup. After I get a few litters cull the bucks and bleach and torch those cages before adding them to the new setup. Then just breed from what I have. I'm tired of ending up with mites over and over!

Is there anything else I can do?
Can I get back all that spare time I used to have?

https://www.instagram.com/girlwalkswithgoats/

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,696.00

Re: Ear mites scourge!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:04 pm

You can torch a cage to burn fur off but I don't know how effective it would be at sanitizing for mites. I would swab the ears of all the rabbits every day for a month or so to make sure they are gone. I tend to have an issue with fur mites but whenever one rabbit gets it, I DE dust and give a dishsoap bath to all my rabbits. It works great and haven't had an issue with either types of mites for about a year. I wouldn't scrap both bucks right away, I guess it depends on their value, but definitely quarantine and treat any rabbit you want to move to the new setup. I would also DE all the rabbits and cages since it kills all mites

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 34,621.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:08 pm

horse wormer paste with ivermection in it works wonders at getting rid of mites.
as does plain oil in the ear, doesn't matter the type. Don't need to add VetRx to it.

Bleach everything really well.
If you have wood cages the eggs can be hidden anywhere, so I'd toss the wood.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 13,093.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:57 am

I use injectable bovine ivermectin sub Q , on all adult breeders at the same time,
if I have a doe with kits that are past the nursing stage I isolate her then
treat her after the kits are gone.
When I treat all rabbits at the same time, I have never had a mite problem come back later.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.