Restarting, advice?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
a few days ago I got hit with inspiration. I took my 3 hole hutch and placed it in the back area, meaning my 12x8 shed is empty of cages and all 9 holes are outside and weather resistant.

Point being, I want to redo the interior and get 6 stackable cages. I want to build an office area and get running water, a place for filing pedigrees, ect.

I want to do this right after 5 years of "making it work"

The big 12' wall now has a build in top shelf for carriers, under the feed bins and hooks for the 5gl hay buckets. The rest of the wall has tin shelves mounted and carry all my med supplies, bottles, tattoo stuff, ect.

What I need to do: put in built in desk, tattoo/weighing area, the 6 cages (48x40x18 in total) and a filing cabinet for pedigrees, logs, and records, and a sink for filling bottles n such.

and finally, I ask one thing. Help.

I have no idea what I'm doing, all I know is I want to do it. I want to make this functional. How do I fit all this in a tiny wood shed?

I'm a 16yo that knows how to use basic power tools, the cages are easy to pay for off just rabbit money; but I've only learned through experience. I need as much advice from people who have done this long enough to know the perfect setup and the things no one plans for.

What do you recommend? Did I miss something fundamental? Help

This is what I got done in a few days, I ripped out small old shelves and replaced it with this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BsEnRRFanTHcWKgB7

Pedigrees are easily kept in a three ring binder with page protectors.

Many meds can't handle too much heat or cold, so depending on what you have, your shed might not be the best place for them.

if you can keep moisture out a scale would be good, unless you use something like a fish scale which is built to handle some moisture. :)

How to do a sink etc, takes minds more construction-oriented than mine. :) Though since you don't need a desk all the time, could you put in one of those foldable desks? Where it hangs flat and out of the way until you need it?

are you sure you want stackers? How will you remove just one cage for cleaning? In winter months being able to do that is important if you have frozen poo.

I've tried the binder and now I have 3 and need another so a filing cabinet seems better, since it's Cali the meds are fine outside, and I have a fishing scale so rn I'm just needing advice for the setup and layout

You could try out Kintracks, it's a rabbit pedigree program which also lets you track a whole bunch of other things as well as either keep pedigrees digitally or print them out. It's a free program for the first several hundred animals you put into it and then somewhere around $20 Australian (which is less in US dollars) if you pay for the digital key to unlock it.

I've found single level hutches to be a lot easier to keep clean than stacked hutches, but they're outside so I dunno how they'd work in a building. The single level ones do take up more space horizontally. There's probably not any way to have some sort of pan under the pens that go to an outside chute? Easier to clean if it all washes outside into a worm bin or compost bin?

Generally, the hutch floor wire will rot out before anything else so making the floors easy to replace is always a good thing, IMHO.

This is what we've been doing for hutches:
http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/pages/hutches/hutch.html

They've changed each time they've been relocated or rebuilt. I'm sure yours will too as you discover what works best for you.

Back