Very skinny 7 week old dwarf kit, how to put weight on him?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resendetra

Reaction score
I have a Netherland Dwarf/Rex mix doe (buck is pure Netherland Dwarf) that gave birth to two kits 7 weeks ago. The female turned out to be very big and the male definitely got the dwarf gene. They both were very hyper as small kits in the nesting box, chasing each other around before they could even see. While the female is still hyper, the male really isn't at all anymore. I wouldn't say he's listless, he just doesn't seem to care what you do to him these days.

He doesn't even weigh half a pound and is so skinny feeling. He is eating, drinking, and the mother still cleans him. His poop looks normal and he has a cleaner bottom than his sister. I'm thinking maybe the female kit took most of the milk supply when they were younger since she is three times bigger and probably ate more.

I'm not sure what to do with him. He has an unlimited supply of hay and pellets but it doesn't seem like he's gaining weight.

unfortunately..
sometimes kits just "fail to thrive"..
you can try feeding some oatmeal,and carrots to him to see if he gains some weight.
In my experience, these kits rarely improve very much.
They have a "birth defect" that keeps them from efficiently utilizing their feed.
Even when "babied", they are weaklings, and often get sick and die later.
This problem is much more comon in "designer breeds" , and "dwarfed breeds".

Yup, oatmeal. Also some Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. Unlimited pellets.
Can he reach the water bottle? Sometimes if they have problems drinking, they don't eat much.
Check the teeth for malocclusion.

michaels4gardens":1wypd279 said:
unfortunately..
sometimes kits just "fail to thrive"..
you can try feeding some oatmeal,and carrots to him to see if he gains some weight.
In my experience, these kits rarely improve very much.
They have a "birth defect" that keeps them from efficiently utilizing their feed.
Even when "babied", they are weaklings, and often get sick and die later.
This problem is much more comon in "designer breeds" , and "dwarfed breeds".

Sorry I never replied back!

He seems to be doing great now and super active. He now weighs 1.1 pounds and seems to gain a little each week. I pulled him from his mom the night I made my post and that's when he started doing a lot better, it was almost instant. I think his much bigger sister was causing him problems when it came to food, she's definitely still a food hog. <br /><br /> -- Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:42 am -- <br /><br />
hotzcatz":1wypd279 said:
Yup, oatmeal. Also some Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. Unlimited pellets.
Can he reach the water bottle? Sometimes if they have problems drinking, they don't eat much.
Check the teeth for malocclusion.

He started doing tons better once I pulled him from his mother and sister the same night I made this post. I think his much bigger sister was causing him problems when it came to eating, she definitely loves her food. He now weighs 1.1 pounds and is super active on his own. Teeth are also perfect.

Latest posts

Back