What's in your med/basic breeder kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
What do you have as your rabbit breeder supplies? Such as creams, medical supplies, ect? I don't have much and have been doing this too long to not have a proper kit. Right now it's nail clippers, bottles, basic syringes for force feeding, baby drops, tweezers, basic ani biotic creams for eye infections and such, DE, and that's it. Help

1. Ivermectin. The apple flavored horse wormer gel, it works a treat on wool and ear mites.

2. Bone meal, in case we have to make up formula for newborns. Here's a link to the recipe: http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/blog/2018/20180801.html I should make that a separate page on the website, it's stuck way down at the bottom of the blog pages. Other than the bone meal, the rest of the formula is basic kitchen ingredients which we usually have on hand.

3. Sharp pointy scissors in case fur needs to be cut away from a wound. The bunnies here are angoras, so we use the scissors to harvest their 'wool' coats, too.

4. Toenail clippers

5. We use the triple antibiotic from the regular medicine cabinet if we need it. As well as the vet wrap (we keep that for people wrap, too) and hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol if necessary.

6. Bunny supplies also include a scale, hypodermics and a bottle of penicillin, although that should be bought new when needed. They sell it at the feed store in cattle sized bottles for pretty cheap, but there's enough there to treat about a hundred rabbits. The scale is necessary to weigh the rabbit to determine the dosage.

Most of our bunny kit is for angora coat care and that has dwindled down to a pair of barber's scissors, toe nail clippers, a long toothed wire comb and a tube of Ivermectin.

Stuff we also have but don't use as much is the tattoo kit and a pair of horse clippers with a really fine blade.

A good pedigree program is a 'must', too, although any method of keeping good records would work.

What do you have as your rabbit breeder supplies? Such as creams, medical supplies, ect? I don't have much and have been doing this too long to not have a proper kit. Right now it's nail clippers, bottles, basic syringes for force feeding, baby drops, tweezers, basic ani biotic creams for eye infections and such, DE, and that's it. Help
Medically:
Penicillin, syringes, needles, baby has drops, feeder syringes, droppers, bottles specifically for rabbits, iodine, gause and wrapping, hemorrhoid cream (sore hock treatment) bloat treatment (found out there is a bloat virus rabbits can get, lost half my stock and this saved the rest), critical care, scissors, tweezers, and clippers

Breeder tracking:
A binder with paper copy pedigrees
I use rabbit bookeeper, SUPER cheap for a year and I can send pdf files of pedigrees to customers or save my paper copies in case they're ruined

Cage supplies:
Water bottles
Ceramic bowls (for water for Flemish giants) and food for most of the rabbits, depending on cage
Feeders
Mats
Litter boxes (most of them use litter boxes)

Grooming:
Brushes of different types
Flea comb
Normal comb
Nail clippers
Leave in dry shampoo for pets (in case they somehow get messy)

meds for my rabbits? Medicinal plants. Amprol. A good lancing knife. A quick cull policy. A rice bag for warming kits. A homemade critical care mix that I freeze (dandelions, thistles, chives, parsley, pumpkin and a wee touch of pellets pulse into a thin mix). Gas drops. Good scissors. Nail clippers. that's about it. Syringes for water and critical care. standard feeding/watering equipment, I use kintraks for pedigrees,

A quick cull policy.
This.

Medically, the only thing I have ever had to attempt to treat was sore hocks on a male that just HAD TO do a victory stomp every time he bred someone. Otherwise it was always too late (dystocia, predator, fight wounds) or they were remarkably healthy.

Latest posts

Back