Over Felting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
hotzcatz":28ooc83n said:
I like the fish best, it seems a happy fish! What wool did you use?

Pure Shetland! So soft, mmmm love Shetland.

I can buy a raw fleece over here for between $5 and $15 (can go much higher but I won't, I am not spinning so don't need best wool) so my room is stuffed with wool.

Herdwick, Hillswick, Hill Radnor, and Shetland right now.

Smells good. :D

Just finished a triple felted toy and am about to start a shetland bed throw.

Having cheap fleeces means I have to be more creative when using all the different qualities of wool. :cool:

Never even heard of most of those sheep breeds! Are they only over in Europe? Herdwick, Hillswick & Hill Radnor don't show up here in the U.S. all that often, I don't think. Not that I'm all that up on United States sheep since we're off in Hawaii, which , even though technically is part of the U.S., there's a lot of water between us and the rest of U.S. We have two Clun Forest sheep and they're considered somewhat oddball since there aren't that many of them around.

When there's too much fleece around here, I'll spin it really fat - as fat as I can fit through the orifice of an Ashford bulky flyer - and then crochet it into rugs. Sometimes using several strands of yarn at a time. And single crochet so it's pretty thick by the time it's all done. I can use up several smaller fleeces making a rug. Spin it raw, spin it fat, wash it as yarn and then wash the whole rug to felt it a little to make it more durable.

I keep thinking of adding in bunny fluff to the sheep's wool to make it a softer yarn, but so far bunny fluff has been spun separate.

There are sooooooo many different sheep breeds here in the UK, it blows my mind sometimes. Got some Black Mountain Welsh fleeces not long ago for pennies really but my heart lusts after the proper equipment to properly play with them. For now though I am enjoying felting so maybe one day for carding and spinning and the rest.

Dreams keep us going!

Latest posts

Back