Sore hock or callus

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The short- Is this just considered a callus forming or the beginning of sore hock?
4oypcyT

Full story- My male breeder is under a year old on 14 gauge 1"x1/2" wire. His foot was not shiny I put on triple antibiotic ointment on it. It was dry and felt thicker. His hide has a solid piece of cardboard to rest on but I now gave him another outside it to rest. He IS a thumper and his cage looks nice and dry. Since this rabbit gig is still new to me I built it all so the wire has no visible rust.

I heard of blu kote on here and one person said antibiotic ointment. I just read some say ointments soften the skin making it worse.

I'm trying not to cull him but what do you think about his foot? Pretty skinny without alot of fur....right?

Is this just a callus from being a thumper? Should I bleach his cage or use ammonia on it to be extra safe?
Thanks!

Looks like a sore hock to me. A callus shouldn't look red and raw.

I'd make sure the cardboard was clean and maybe give him something with more traction to stand on. Maybe something like an upside down tile.

OK I was afraid of that. Thanks for the confirmation.

SableSteel":is5fqbtm said:
.....I'd make sure the cardboard was clean and maybe give him something with more traction to stand on. Maybe something like an upside down tile.

Oh that's something I didn't think about with traction being a factor. It's starting to get chilly in the midwest so I swapped out there tiles for cardboard which I change if soiled.

I could add gashes in the cardboard for more traction even put two layers down and mark up each side.

On YT they talk about using memory foam for them to rest on or old towels. Does my buck need more cushioning for his size? (~8 pounds)

Latest posts

Back