ball pythons - new baby hatched today

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artios

Reaction score
Happy Hatchday to the first baby of 2011 here. A healthy little female weighing in at 69 grams.

rosepinghatchling2011.jpg

Out of 5 eggs laid, 2 were infertile slugs, and the other two went bad early in incubation. This little gal took her time pipping, waiting a full 61 days to take a peek into the world. I had hoped her dad, who was a farmed import, would prove to be genetic but he either isn't or I completely missed the odds. Or I guess it could possibly be recessive but he just had that co-dom look to him.

My het clown female is due to lay in about 30 days, and I hope the odds gods will be a bit more gentle with me on that clutch. :cry:

Anyone else into pythons?

i know nada about snakes.... so I take it she's a common class sort and you were hoping for something special?

Grats on the baby! She looks fat and healthy. :)

I used to have quite a variety of snakes. Mostly pythons with a few boas and colubrids sprinkled in. Even had a few monitors at one point years ago. It helped that I worked for a vet that loved reptile cases and prior to that a natural history museum with a large herp collection. When I moved to another state I ended up parting with most of them, but I still have a pair of Morelia bredli/Bredl's.

I love clown and pied BP's, but I could have never afforded them years ago when they were still in their early stages of development. It is amazing to me how much has changed in a good way as far as morphs are concerned.

Best of luck,

Lauren

Very pretty i always was interested in snakes but my mothers extremely afraid of them soo i never got any.

ladysown":19ql5gau said:
i know nada about snakes.... so I take it she's a common class sort and you were hoping for something special?

Yes, she's "just" a normal. I was hoping dad would prove to be a genetic granite at least.
m17.jpg

Lauren, you'll have to post up some pics of yours one day. I've always wanted a Bredli, it's probably the one animal I want that I don't yet have. I've got balls in about a dozen different morphs, boas in several localities (mostly the small insulars), and a couple sumatran short tail bloods, but no Bredli. Yet. :lol: I'd love to have one of Nick Mutton's stripes.

I don't know anything about snakes but I do love the beauty of some of them. She is still pretty regardless of being normal. I love the"smokey" color on her head.

Thanks everyone!

Truckinguy, ball pythons don't get too large, and are IMO one of the easiest boids to care for. Females can get a bit bigger than males. About 2000 grams and 4-5 feet is a decent sized gal. I haven't heard of them getting much longer if any, but they will gain some girth with age. If you don't have any experience, they make a perfect first pet snake. They're typically pretty laid back and aren't fussy when it comes to requirements. Have a look sometime at all the different color morphs that are out there, there's something for everyone and new stuff is being found or created every breeding season. Crazy colors, patterns and combos from ten bucks to tens of thousands. Pretty cool animals!

A good site to look at pictures and drool is http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/

Frosted Rabbits":ql520064 said:
Wow, Cool Site--
folks, looks like we have a genetics geek here

Big time. :lol: I love genetics. I'm fascinated by the scientific side of things, the hows and whys.

-puts on nerd glasses-

Snakes are not my favorites at all, but these are great pics! She is beautifully marked.

Back