What rabbit feed to buy? Specifically for Holland Lops.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASF Lops

Reaction score
I raise Holland Lops and recently I have been trying to decide which feed to use. We also show these rabbits.

We started out on Kalmbach and I noticed it was hard to get my rabbits bred. There were issues of missed litters, reabsorption, does eating the kits, the list goes on. Then I suddenly had 2 bucks die within a month of each other and at the beginning of new bag shipments. So I decided to buy something else.

Now they are on Blue Seal Hutch Deluxe 17%. I'm not entirely happen with their overall condition. They would eat really well at the beginning and now they just sort of pick at it.

So I'm looking again. What do you feed? What have you tried and decided to switch from? Any other insight?
As for dealers, I am located in NORTH CENTRAL Pennsylvania, right on the NY border.

The bunnies here are angoras, so we feed as high a protein pellet as we can get our hands on. Currently, it's Nutrena's Naturewise Performance feed which is 18% protein.

This year we've added in rolled barley and Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and the litter sizes have really increased as well as the number of litters that show up. We've also started breeding the does for the first time between seven and ten months of age. A 'normal' litter size had been between four and six, although we were also seeing litters of two. There's just been a litter of eleven and a litter of seven.

It's three scoops pellets to one scoop of barley and a sprinkling of BOSS. Plus loads of fresh forage since we can't afford hay or keep it from mildewing if we did buy it.

Hi there!
I'm in no way an expert but we feed our rabbits Oxbow Adult Pellets in addition to loads of grass etc and they have soft silky fur. Particularly my lop Prim, her coat is so shiny and she feels like velvet. I appreciate this is expensive and we only have a couple bunnies at the moment, just thought I'd share our experience :)

Soft silky fur may be due to genetics. I've been feeding Southern States Premium 18% this year because it's the cheapest after their monthly discount coupon. Some of my rabbits have coarse fur and others have fine soft silky fur that I love to stroke.

I feed manna pro, free choice. I only have a trio of Polish, but have had 0 breeding problems and haven’t lost a kit since I started a year ago.

Back