Nest box cold weather problem?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I breed my doe for the last litter of the year before winter gets a strong hold.

The thing is I block my does hide box with the nest box so she doesn't have her kits in there. By blocking her hide though she usually then just sits on top of the hide away from the nest box. I will try to block the breeze as much as possible but should I construct a short term cardboard box on top of her hide for added warmth to get out of possible snow and cold air?

A guess on temps could be low teens (°F) at night or colder. Not worried about the kits there nest box will be well made....just worried about the mother.
Thanks!

changing her hide box situation could be "problematic"
If you could elevate the hide box,it might help .. most does perfer to kindle in a "lower" nesting spot, rather than a higher one....
That is why "below the floor" nesting boxes work so well, and have so few problems,
with kits being born on the wire, or in the wrong place....

michaels4gardens":2jvhke53 said:
changing her hide box situation could be "problematic"

I guess I worded it weird. She doesn't have problems with her kits and the nest box so far although I wish I added that option when building the cage.

I'm just asking if i need to do something for the doe since I will have her normal warm hide blocked off with the nest box so she doesn't kindle in her hide.

I could try to raise her hide but it would only be maybe 4 or 5 inches higher before it's at the top of the cage. Will this prevent her from having kits in there and not need me to block the entrance?

Latest posts

Back