Register

Not looking for answers, Just need to vent

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
Canada
BunnyBucks: 200.00

Not looking for answers, Just need to vent

Post Number:#1  Unread postby NewZealands4Lyfe » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:12 pm

I just got into meat rabbit breeding two months ago, I got two rabbits, which I was told was a two-year-old unrelated pair of rabbits. I was told my new buck was a NZ/Flemish Giant and my new doe was a NZ.

Two days after I bought them the doe had a litter, I was new at rabbit husbandry and the first litter passed because the doe laid on them. My second litter passed after they chilled in September.

Now I thought I had it down pat, Moved my rabbit inside on day 20, put her nestbox in on 28. I have been (im)patiently been waiting since day 28 which was the 20. Now 5 days later I walk into my rabbit room and find 4 dead kits scattered throughout her cage. One was on the level above the nestbox (which was placed to prevent the doe from sniffing somewhere and landing on them) I had a doctor appointment so I moved the doe to an extra cage I had and removed the kits and threw them out.

When I returned to clean the cage I noticed the blood, It was everywhere, spattered all over the wall, on the bars of the cage, all over her straw. When I took the level out to clean it, it looked like the kit had bled out on it, I still don't believe all that blood came from one kit. I wish I had taken photos. I took a closer look, she didn't try to borrow in the nestbox and she also didn't pluck any fur. I don't get it. She also only had 4 kits, I thought i had felt at least 6 when I palpated her 2 weeks ago.

I honestly just want to sell my rabbits, I am so close to giving up, I probably will sell my pair and get show quality I-don't-know-whats. I just wanted to thank everyone who has helped me along this journey, its been fun, when my kits weren't dying. I will keep all of you updated.
NZ
Meat Mutts, Always willing to learn!!
"The Brave may not live forever, But the Cautious will never live at all"
- Richard Branson

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,320.00

Re: Not looking for answers, Just need to vent

Post Number:#2  Unread postby hotzcatz » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:32 am

FWIW, breeding rabbits isn't actually all that easy. Whoever said 'breeds like rabbits' didn't have a clue to what they were talking about.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

The following user would like to thank hotzcatz for this post
golden rabbitry, michaels4gardens, NewZealands4Lyfe

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 12,973.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:22 am

My opinion ...
Never buy "mature" rabbits for breed stock..
no "Rabbit breeder" is going to sell a you a two year old doe,
unless she is "not" a productive doe..
IE: a way to get some money out of a failure..

Every "successful [honest]" breeder, has the same moto...
breed the best, sell [or eat] the rest..
When "good" breedstock is sold, they are sold young,
well before a big investment in feed and housing is made..
I would look elsewhere for your breedstock ...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
NewZealands4Lyfe

Canada
BunnyBucks: 200.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby NewZealands4Lyfe » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:03 am

Thanks, everyone! I am currently looking at rabbitries in my area, found 2 with great stock for sale!
NZ
Meat Mutts, Always willing to learn!!
"The Brave may not live forever, But the Cautious will never live at all"
- Richard Branson

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,320.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby hotzcatz » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:01 pm

I dunno, it depends on the rabbitry as to if they sell good breedstock or not. If you're doing meat rabbits, then an older doe is probably not going to be readily available.

I raise wool rabbits and will occasionally let a good breeder doe go. Usually, only if she takes a buck with her, though, since there's usually extra bucks around here and selling a 'good enough' doe is one way to get them to go. It won't be a really great doe, but a good enough starter doe. They can get a much better buck than a doe, I only keep one or two new bucks each year and try to sell them off after they've sired a few litters.

I can keep a whole pile of does in one spot, bucks will usually fight if they're kept in groups. As wool producers, a bunny will stay around here for years and years, but I do need to move some older stock to be able to have room for some of the new ones coming in. They won't improve if I don't breed more, but I need space for the new ones. If I have a several year old doe that's already given me a couple of litters, she can move onto another home if I have some replacements from her.

For the herd here, since they produce wool for a specific brand of yarn which relies on the color of the bunny to produce the color of the yarn, I need specific number of certain colors. So sometimes a bunny will be sold because it's the wrong color and nothing else is wrong with it. But the needs of the herd here are different than what the buyer's needs or wants may be. So, there could be circumstances where good breedstock is sold as adults.

Right around now, it's going into wintertime, so folks with non-meat rabbits who feed a lot of forage may want to decrease herd size until next spring when there's more forage? Not sure if it works that way with bunnies, but farmers with bigger livestock will decrease herd size in the fall.

The other way to get good breed stock is to pay breed stock prices. Getting inexpensive rabbits doesn't usually produce good breed stock, but paying high prices doesn't always get good stock, either. Perhaps if there's someone nearby who raises rabbits, they could help you find good stock? Ask if another breeder of their breed would be helpful to them? If they don't want another competing breeder of their breed near them, they may help set you up with a different breed.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

The following user would like to thank hotzcatz for this post
NewZealands4Lyfe