Peeing in it's hide

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why does my buck pee on the cardboard lining his hide!?!?

The rabbit is always by itself (except for breeding) in my hutch outside. The nights are getting cool as we move to a colder winter. I added a piece of cardboard under all 4 of my rabbits hides to block the wind with some added thin strips of cardboard as a hay alternative inside to be bedding. The other three rabbits don't pee in there own bed! :evil: Why make a pee spot that covers 1/3 of your dry sleeping pad in your hide?

Poop isn't as common only urine. This is the 3rd time I replaced cardboard.

Could it be as simple as he usually did his business in his hide and I didn't notice since it fell through?

Should I change the layout of his cage to see if the bed wetting stops?

Night time is just about freezing in my area in a few weeks, night will drop below freezing.
Thanks!

Rabbits are clean and tidy animals, similar to cats domestic rabbits have an area where they go to the bathroom, commonly called the toilet area. It is likely your buck was using his hide as a litterbox, try moving the hid and see if it still happens.

For example: When outside, both my buck and doe use the back corner of their hutch as a toilet. inside they use the front corner.

Good luck!

NewZealands4Lyfe":10qsm5qe said:
Rabbits are clean and tidy animals, similar to cats domestic rabbits have an area where they go to the bathroom, commonly called the toilet area. It is likely your buck was using his hide as a litterbox, try moving the hid and see if it still happens.

For example: When outside, both my buck and doe use the back corner of their hutch as a toilet. inside they use the front corner.

Good luck!

I agree with this post,
except ,--I would have said "almost all" rabbits are "clean and tidy".
Over the years I have culled quite a few rabbits who "made a constant mess",
or peed in the nestbox full of kits..
[but, --I have raised 10's of thousands of rabbits]

NewZealands4Lyfe":a9wi0yqx said:

Good luck!

Thanks so I probably just obstructed his bathroom area with cardboard. I'll try moving it thanks! <br /><br /> -- Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:14 am -- <br /><br /> [/quote]

I agree with this post,
except ,--I would have said "almost all" rabbits are "clean and tidy".
Over the years I have culled quite a few rabbits who "made a constant mess",
or peed in the nestbox full of kits..
[but, --I have raised 10's of thousands of rabbits][/quote]
Oh wow luckily I haven't run into a die peeing on her kits but having only one litter under my belt there is no comparison to your experience of thousands. :lol:

That does it I'm going to rearrange its hide. That makes sense about having a specific spot. Thanks! BTW it already wet the cardboard from last night. Lol. New cardboard in a new area now.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back