Register

What Breed?

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
Canada
BunnyBucks: 200.00

What Breed?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby NewZealands4Lyfe » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:25 pm

When I originally bought my buck in early August, I was told her was a NZ/Flemish Giant cross, I learned more and more about rabbits and rabbit breeds, now I'm thinking he may be an American Chinchilla, what are yall's thoughts and opinions?

__________ Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:19 pm __________

I will get better photos real quick

__________ Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:25 pm __________

NZ
Meat Mutts, Always willing to learn!!
"The Brave may not live forever, But the Cautious will never live at all"
- Richard Branson

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,763.00

Re: What Breed?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Zass » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:52 pm

Honestly, rabbits with no pedigree are functionally mutts unless they meet all of the breed characteristics to be shown as a purebred rabbit of one or another breed. Even if they do, their unknown backgrounds could make them undesirable to breed with purebred lines. (A mutt that just happened to "look" like a purebred could introduce unshowable colors or other unwanted genes in a line.)

The weight, the "type" and all other features in the breed standard would have to match up before I would call an unpedigreed rabbit any member of a breed.
As a general rule, if a breeder doesn't provide a pedigree, it's because they don't intend the rabbit they sold to be used for breeding purebred animals for one reason or another.

There are a LOT of chinchilla colored mutts out there, and its an easy color to get from a flemish/nz cross.
They make fine meat rabbits. :dinner:

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
michaels4gardens, NewZealands4Lyfe

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,798.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:50 am

Could easily be a flemish/NZ cross, which is much more common than american chinchillas. Look up Light Gray flemish giants; they're the same color.
Show Breeder & ARBA Judge

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
michaels4gardens, NewZealands4Lyfe

Canada
BunnyBucks: 200.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby NewZealands4Lyfe » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Okay, thanks, guys! I knew that it would be pretty low, Marco's head looks so identical, I realized he was in moult, that probably was a contributing factor to his colour.
NZ
Meat Mutts, Always willing to learn!!
"The Brave may not live forever, But the Cautious will never live at all"
- Richard Branson