Dry cat food for rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
My free range lop doe is hooked on cat food. I've found her eating the cat food. Not only does she go for it, she's pretty bossy and aggressive towards the feral cat I feed. When ever the cat sees her approaching she moves away and let the rabbit at the food. I now have to place the cat food on a table so the cat can get to it but too high for the rabbit to reach. So far the cat food don't seem to hurt the rabbit.

A lot of cheap cat food is mostly corn or other grain products.
Functionally more suitable for rabbits than cats!!
Still, I could see it causing her to gain weight if she gets too much.

I have fed dry catfood to does that needed to gain weight
it helped a lot and they love it.
Catfood is low in fiber, as long as she has access to a lot of fiber, she will be fine.
When I fed a lot of rabbits with only what I could grow... I often had access to "free" dog and cat food,
It helped all the rabbits look better, and the young rabbits gained weight faster.
and--[ contrary to House Rabbit Society propaganda]... Rabits will eat animal based protein
and like to do so..[I didn't ever feed raw meat]
We fed our rabbits "all" of the houshold food scraps...
[When a rabbit cleans leftover meat off a steak bone, there is very little of the bone left...]

It just seems odd to feed a carnivore's diet to a herbivore? Well, around here cat food is way more expensive than bunny food so it probably won't be an experiment we will be trying but it's interesting to think about. Cats are an obligate carnivore and need some sort of enzyme they get from meat, I think, or they will go blind is what I've heard.

hotzcatz":gbhhnx3o said:
It just seems odd to feed a carnivore's diet to a herbivore? Well, around here cat food is way more expensive than bunny food so it probably won't be an experiment we will be trying but it's interesting to think about. Cats are an obligate carnivore and need some sort of enzyme they get from meat, I think, or they will go blind is what I've heard.

I think the real question is why do we put so much herbivore food (corn and grain) into an obligate carnivores diet? :lol:

Back