Buck not recessive

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksnow

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first time breeding rabbits, and my rabbits first times too and I'm curious and could use some opinions..

I put my doe (1 yr) with my buck (6 months).
It took him a minute to get ready and he tried and tried. He had some times where it looked like it was successful but no fall off, he would just stop. My doe was really well behaved and sat there for him, tail up. They were fine together and I left them in there for about an hour and watched. Seeing as he was not experienced, he would hump her face quite a lot and move around.
I couldn't tell if he had done his deed... After the hour mark he was not interested at all, I tried neutral space, table- nothing, he wasn't interested.

I had thought maybe it was the doe? Put in one of my younger does and he didn't do ANTYHING. They just chilled out. I may try again tonight and later tomorrow until I see an actual fall-off that I can confirm. Any thoughts?

He's probably just tired. I have a buck like this and once he has a falloff he needs 15 minutes before breeding again. Just keep trying and give them both a break every hour until it works.

Inexperience could be an issue. Most bucks are ready by 6 months, but there are always outliers. I would say just keep trying him, also, mark the date of any breeding attempts, as does have been known to get pregnant without noticeable falloff.

Latest posts

Back