Register

How do yall organize the rabbitry

A place to post bits of news, ideas, musings and other things that don't really fit into the other forums.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,526.00

Re: How do yall organize the rabbitry

Post Number:#16  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:18 pm

up here yes. Covid hit cali back in November and everyone was sent home with a "really bad flu" so no one actually got sick. We shut down sorta and shows are back on

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,240.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby hotzcatz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:10 pm

hotzcatz wrote:I absolutely breed for certain colors. The herd here produces fiber for Hula Bunny yarn which has three 'standard' colors, so I need to keep a certain number of bunnies providing fiber for all three colors of yarn. There's no dye in the yarn, the color of the bunny is what colors the yarn.

At the moment, there's five to seven breedable does here. Some are too old, some I don't want to breed, but there's five that I do want bred. There's one six month old doe who could also be bred. At the moment, four of the five are bred and there's two that have litters who will possibly be bred in another few weeks. Depends on what shows up in the litters later this week. Two litters due on Friday, one on Sunday, the last of the four bred does was just bred today, so her litter isn't due until October.

Here's the upcoming litters and my guess at the possible colors, if you want to try to guess them, pop right in!

1. Ceasar (black tort) x Daisy (REW) = black and choc torts, REWs
aa Bb Cc D_ ee & aa _b cc __ _e

2. Ceasar (black tort) x Camellia (REW) = half REWs and ???
aa Bb Cc D_ ee & __ __ cc __ __

3. Ceasar (black tort) x Rose (black) = blacks, black torts, REWs
aa Bb Cc D_ ee & aa B_ Cc Dd Ee

4. DaffyDill (black tort) x Lotus (black) = Blacks, black torts, choc & choc tort possible
aa Bb Cc D_ ee x aa Bb C_ Dd Ee

I may also breed Phineas Phogge (lilac buck) to Vivian (black tort doe) = half REWs and ????
aa bb Cc dd E_ & aa B_ Cc D_ ee

I'm kinda answering my own post, but now it's later and we can see how well 'planning' works out when there's bunnies involved.

Litter #1 - Daisy had seven babies, five REW (albino), one black and one tortoiseshell. I'll have to look, that may be a black tort?
Litter #2 - no show. I'd not seen the breeding, but expected they'd managed to mate when I wasn't looking, but I guess not.
Litter #3 - Rose had a litter of 11, although lost one REW at about one day old. Five blacks, three REW and three torts. Some nice depth of color on the torts, I'll probably keep two of them - not that I need more torts.
Litter #4 - not due until this Friday.

Still haven't bred any other does yet. Vivian didn't want to have anything to do with Hadrian and he wasn't particularly interested in her, either. Which is kinda typical for this time of year, the bunnies just don't seem to be 'in the mood' all the time during this part of the year.

So, even with all the planning, things still work out differently.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 34,406.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:49 pm

I never plan that far ahead, I literally go every two weeks.

I do my best to plan who goes with whom, but sometimes my does have other ideas in mind.
For instance.. my PLAN was to put a young tricolour in with my tricolour buck. I wanted that big head and brilliant colours. She would have NOTHING to do with him. But my sable point buck... she was making all kissing face with him through the wire, and so... we had odd coloured kits as the result. GAH. What do you do eh?

Sometimes getting a young doe breeding is more important than colour schemes.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,526.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:18 pm

So how do you get rid of rabbits that aren't what you want to breed into your rabbitry? For instance rabbits that aren't good for meat and/or have emotional attachments but are too old to rehome

Previous