Register

What rabbit feed to buy? Specifically for Holland Lops.

Choose the right feeds to suit your needs and budget.
BunnyBucks: 0.00

What rabbit feed to buy? Specifically for Holland Lops.

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ASF Lops » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 pm

I raise Holland Lops and recently I have been trying to decide which feed to use. We also show these rabbits.

We started out on Kalmbach and I noticed it was hard to get my rabbits bred. There were issues of missed litters, reabsorption, does eating the kits, the list goes on. Then I suddenly had 2 bucks die within a month of each other and at the beginning of new bag shipments. So I decided to buy something else.

Now they are on Blue Seal Hutch Deluxe 17%. I'm not entirely happen with their overall condition. They would eat really well at the beginning and now they just sort of pick at it.

So I'm looking again. What do you feed? What have you tried and decided to switch from? Any other insight?
As for dealers, I am located in NORTH CENTRAL Pennsylvania, right on the NY border.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 195.00

Re: What rabbit feed to buy? Specifically for Holland Lops.

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Ice » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:19 pm

When I had my Holland I fed her manna pro and she seemed to have good condition. Can't say on how easy it is to breed as she was never bred. If it helps I will attach a picture.

-- Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:19 pm --

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UmY2w ... hQS1jXOP1U

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,240.00

Re: What rabbit feed to buy? Specifically for Holland Lops.

Post Number:#3  Unread postby hotzcatz » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:39 pm

The bunnies here are angoras, so we feed as high a protein pellet as we can get our hands on. Currently, it's Nutrena's Naturewise Performance feed which is 18% protein.

This year we've added in rolled barley and Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and the litter sizes have really increased as well as the number of litters that show up. We've also started breeding the does for the first time between seven and ten months of age. A 'normal' litter size had been between four and six, although we were also seeing litters of two. There's just been a litter of eleven and a litter of seven.

It's three scoops pellets to one scoop of barley and a sprinkling of BOSS. Plus loads of fresh forage since we can't afford hay or keep it from mildewing if we did buy it.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com