My buck might have GI stasis help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
My 2yo main breeding buck didn't come to eat this morning and just sat in the corner. It isn't like him at all and he normally comes running. He was fine yesterday evening and was fine when I picked him up but the second I sat him down he went right back to the corner. Any idea what's going on? I've been told he has GI but his droppings look normal. If so, is it contagious? I quarantined him just in case and will be giving him a treatment for it asap

Check his teeth, and look over his body carefully. He's definitely telling you that he's uncomfortable or in pain somehow. Try to tempt him to eat with his favorite foods.

He isn't eating on his own yet but he's always running to me for food and other than the lack of appetite is pooping and acts just like before. If he doesn't eat anything tonight I might look in to why he wouldn't start eating on his own again. He doesn't seem to be in pain or anything, not sure how to get him to eat on his own though.

What I do first is a belly massage to get things moving, or putting the rabbit on my leg when sitting and rocking the whole bunny. Or making them hop around. Also syringing water every few hours if the rabbit doesn't drink, I add simethicone (Baby gas drops) to it (20mg, 2-3 times per day) just in case. If bloat is the issue, I start force feeding small amounts pretty soon, this year one girl had a blockage from too much ingested fur, vet gave her 1ml of paraffin oil in the morning, I did the same around noon and started force feeding in the evening, massaging her for 10 minutes every 2 hours. Vet also gave some appetite enhancer.
Most times they started eating on their own pretty soon once they had a few mouth full of food, but somehow it looked like they needed that nudge.

When of mine had gas (3 times), or something like that it was sitting loafed up and obviously in some pain, massaging brought relief.

In the case ofthe block the rabbit seemed relaxed, flopped, just not caring about food.

This is just my anectotic experience, not general rules or so, when one of my keepers or pets stops eating for a day I'm off to the vet - costs just around 50€ here, can live with that.

Sometimes they will eat fresh herbs when they are still refusing pellets or hay. I like fennel, cilantro, or parsley from the grocery store. Plantain, lemon balm,dandelion and the leaves of rose family plants from the backyard.

I think he's eating today, we had a poweroutage so everyone got moved inside for the AC. He seemed to eat some pellets and hay, I'll let you guys know if anything changes

Latest posts

Back