The sellers lied and now she's got fur mites, what do I do?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
So was brushing my doe the other night and I found a scab, didn't think to much, then found another, and another, and another. Soon I realized her back was covered in dry scabby skin and I found out SHE HAS FUR MITES! I have never had a sick rabbit before and I'm not sure how to treat this. I was thinking of powdering her with Diatomaceous earth(DE) but I am not sure if that works. PLEASE let me know how to treat my poor girl!

I use bovine [cattle] ivermectin Sub Q,[1 ml for a 6 to 8 lb rabbit, 1 1/2 ml for larger rabbits] - although i did not have a problem the few times I used it on pregnant rabbits, -, ...it is not recommended for use on pregnant rabbits. Ivermectin paste [used orally ] works for some folks, [I have not used that either]

I have not used it, -- but .. some people report that ... "Revolution" works for fur mites on rabbits . [I prefer Ivermectin as it has always worked for me, and been trouble free [no re infestations and no sick rabbits] ]

I also found this info on a website
https://www.raising-rabbits.com/fur-mit ... bbits.html
Cat or kitten flea powder should obliterate the adult fur mites in rabbits. A second dusting 10 days later is very important in order to kill newly hatched mites. The two treatments should solve the infestation, but if necessary, a third application 10-14 days after the second dusting is acceptable.

Ivermectin, topical, oral or subcutaneous is also effective. If injecting, use 1% Cattle Injectable Ivermectin, 0.018cc per pound. (That's a teensy amount.) Administer upon discovery, and then again 10-14 days later. A third dose is acceptable, given 10-14 days after the second dose.

Revolution® (Selamectin) is related to Ivermectin and can also be used. (Use Revolution on rabbits 11 pounds (5 kg) or more, and at your own risk.)

Do NOT use Frontline® or Advantage® on rabbits. The manufacturer of Frontline products strongly recommends against using it on rabbits as the side effects can be severe, including death, and Advantage is not effective against fur mites.

I've used ivermectin injectable for cattle. Brand name I use is Ivomec and you can buy it at your local farm supply store.

detail.jpg

I don't like puncturing the skin on an already ill animal taking a chance on an abscess so give it orally. (you'll still need a syringe with a removable needle to draw it out of the bottle)
In sever cases I give them .08 cc per pound of rabbit for 3 days in a row. Then give them a 10 day break and give it one more time. (it takes their eggs 11 days to hatch)

By the end of the third day of treatment you will notice a big improvement. You may see traces of them when brushing the rabbit but they won't be moving. ;)

Good Luck!

Homer":hmgow15j said:
I've used ivermectin injectable for cattle. Brand name I use is Ivomec and you can buy it at your local farm supply store.

detail.jpg

I don't like puncturing the skin on an already ill animal taking a chance on an abscess so give it orally. (you'll still need a syringe with a removable needle to draw it out of the bottle)
In sever cases I give them .08 cc per pound of rabbit for 3 days in a row. Then give them a 10 day break and give it one more time. (it takes their eggs 11 days to hatch)

By the end of the third day of treatment you will notice a big improvement. You may see traces of them when brushing the rabbit but they won't be moving. ;)

Good Luck!

although this has never happened to me, I have heard of others who have had injected rabbits get an abscess , good point...

We have angoras and as far as I can tell, wool mites can spontaneously combust out of thin air. Fortunately, the fix is easy peasy. Most likely your local feed store will stock Ivermection horse wormer. It's inexpensive, a gel (no injecting) and easy to use. Just smear a little bit in their ears. No need to feed it to them, no need to inject, just a tiny dab smeared in the ears - no matter where the wool mites are - and the mites disappear.

tools.jpg

These are the grooming tools we have for the angoras, as expected, most of them are scissors, but the tube of Ivermectin is up there at the top of the picture. Check the ingredients list when you're getting it at the feed store to make sure it's Ivermection and not anything else. It's 'apple flavored' and smells nice, too.

hotzcatz":2yc842kd said:
We have angoras and as far as I can tell, wool mites can spontaneously combust out of thin air. Fortunately, the fix is easy peasy. Most likely your local feed store will stock Ivermection horse wormer. It's inexpensive, a gel (no injecting) and easy to use. Just smear a little bit in their ears. No need to feed it to them, no need to inject, just a tiny dab smeared in the ears - no matter where the wool mites are - and the mites disappear.

tools.jpg

These are the grooming tools we have for the angoras, as expected, most of them are scissors, but the tube of Ivermectin is up there at the top of the picture. Check the ingredients list when you're getting it at the feed store to make sure it's Ivermection and not anything else. It's 'apple flavored' and smells nice, too.
Thanks I just bought some for my rabbit less than $3!!! :eek:

Everyone in Hawaii always likes to believe that everyone on the mainland gets to buy things at much less expensive prices than we have to pay. I'm glad it seems to be true! We usually pay around $5 - $7 for a dose of it, although that's a horse sized dose and good for many rabbits.

hotzcatz":15wvhmop said:
Everyone in Hawaii always likes to believe that everyone on the mainland gets to buy things at much less expensive prices than we have to pay. I'm glad it seems to be true! We usually pay around $5 - $7 for a dose of it, although that's a horse sized dose and good for many rabbits.

Hahaha yeah. At least then tourists come over and pay more than inland things cost at shops. Lol. That's still very reasonable price if it works well.

Well, we have to pay more at the shops all the time and not just on vacation so we're still jealous of the lower prices on the mainland. It's also a LOT easier for mainland folks to get stuff. I've not been able to ship in new rabbits for quite some time since it's really hard to find good breeding stock from 3,000 miles away. Now, what with that virus, I can't ship in any even if I were able to find them.

Ivermectin horse wormer is something I always keep on hand. It's out by the bunny feed so when I see either dandruff on the bunnies or crusty in their ears, it's really easy just to swipe a bit of Ivermectin in their ears. That clears it up within days. Has your bunny's fur mites gotten better yet?

We just got two sheep a couple weeks ago, they're not really rabbits, but they seem to eat a lot of the same things. There will be some sort of worming procedures for them, depending on what those procedures are, we may be able to use the same things on rabbits? Dunno yet, still looking into things.

They are woolly sheep, so wouldn't they get wool mites just like the rabbits? (We have angoras, so they have 'wool' instead of fur). Well, we will see, the sheep are still new. It will be interesting to see how much or many cross-species meds and procedures are applicable.

hotzcatz":6qg5xh47 said:
Well, we have to pay more at the shops all the time and not just on vacation so we're still jealous of the lower prices on the mainland. It's also a LOT easier for mainland folks to get stuff. I've not been able to ship in new rabbits for quite some time since it's really hard to find good breeding stock from 3,000 miles away. Now, what with that virus, I can't ship in any even if I were able to find them.

Ivermectin horse wormer is something I always keep on hand. It's out by the bunny feed so when I see either dandruff on the bunnies or crusty in their ears, it's really easy just to swipe a bit of Ivermectin in their ears. That clears it up within days. Has your bunny's fur mites gotten better yet?

We just got two sheep a couple weeks ago, they're not really rabbits, but they seem to eat a lot of the same things. There will be some sort of worming procedures for them, depending on what those procedures are, we may be able to use the same things on rabbits? Dunno yet, still looking into things.

They are woolly sheep, so wouldn't they get wool mites just like the rabbits? (We have angoras, so they have 'wool' instead of fur). Well, we will see, the sheep are still new. It will be interesting to see how much or many cross-species meds and procedures are applicable.
No I understand plus you have limited options for jobs to pay the higher fees.

The look to be acting better.....but the kits are still pawing at there ears then gnawing on there paws. I think I posted this in the other one but the ears look clear as of 2 days ago when I checked.

Dusted the breeders also 2 days ago figuring it can't hurt and my newly bought infested one now has a bald spot starting on his head!!! After the ivermectin dose last week. I dusted that well and gave him some BOSS to hopefully regrow it quickly.

Sorry don't want to high jack this thread since it's not my main question. You know me though if I have new issues I'll start new threads if I can't find started ones lolol. If you want feel free to PM me or post on my other question. I will try to stay off this one but enjoy the tips and help.

@Golden Rabbitry- I feel your pain. How can people sell rabbits that clearly have mites. Good luck with your battle!

Back