pandemic

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope your friend working at Subway is able to have proper anti-virus procedures in place! We just had a new case of Covid show up on our island yesterday. It is over in Kailua-Kona, so it could have been brought in by a traveler, but I don't have any details yet. Since we're all staying home, it's much harder to get as much island news as before. Usually the 'coconut wireless' is how we find out about a lot of local news but without everyone chatting with each other, it's kinda hard to find out things.

We are always somewhat isolated from outside supplies, even in times of no pandemic. If we see something at a shop that we want or need, we don't assume it's going to be there if we go back later. Sometimes it will be reorderd, sometimes not, so if we can, we get it then. Thanksgiving (does Canada have a similar fall festival or feast of some sort?) turkeys and Christmas trees (which are both shipped in) are usually either too many or not enough and go in alternate years. If one year there's plenty of them, the next year they will be scarce and sold out quickly.

About half the rabbits we sell get shipped, although that's a shorter inter-island flight and not the hours long flight from the mainland. I've only ever gotten one mainland shipment and that was six adult rabbits shipped from the mainland mid-west area in 2009. That's pretty much been the genetic source we've been working with ever since. I try to get other folks breeding them so we can swap bucks every few generations. That was basically just one person and I was getting ready to borrow a buck from him since the levels of inbreeding here are getting a bit high but he lost all his rabbits last month to a dog attack. ARRGH!

Hmm, apparently to import a rabbit to the United States from Canada, there's no particular requirements. To import a rabbit to Hawaii, it has to have a veterinary certificate and it has to be inspected in Honolulu. Which is on a different island, so I'd have to organize someone to go get the rabbit from the inspection desk and put it on another air flight to this island. Also, multiple rabbits can go in one carrier, so if this were to be done, it would be better to get multiple rabbits shipped in at one time.

It's pretty hard to source good breed stock from far away. There may be a buck from Maui since there's someone over there who has imported some angoras, although she's been getting them from a fiber group on FB, so no telling quality or even if they're purebred. They don't come with pedigrees, usually, when they're from wooler homes. Usually, though, a breeder is much more likely to let a quality buck go than a good doe. A breeder only needs so many bucks who have to be housed separately, while does can be kept in a group. At least, the ones around here can, I don't know how other folks set up their rabbitry.

For shipping, I'll usually let the young ones get a few weeks older than if they were going to a local new home. I usually wait until they're at nine to ten weeks old before any of them go to a new home, but if they're being shipped then ten to twelve weeks is a good time. It also gives me more time to sort out which ones I want to keep, sometimes it's hard to tell how they're gonna be as an adult when they're still so young.

Yeah I hope my friend will be ok too.

I'm a seemstress so that shopping attitude has been the same for me when looking at farbics and other sewing accessories so I get it XD

I decided to send you a private message about the angoras that way we can chat a bit more without crowding this thread so much.

There seems to be some new information out from the folks keeping track of the virus. They now say that the virus is transmitted primarily via air and not from on surfaces. Although that is merely the primary vector so still wash your hands and don't touch things and then touch your face and nose. Which is good, we can now all wear masks and keep the virus under control. When you go out, wear a mask that doesn't let in outside air and you'll (according to this new report) be okay. One with a nose wire to keep the gaps between the mask and your face closed. However, of course, this is only the newest data, no telling what they will report next.

Tomorrow will be my first day back working at our little shop in town. So, I'll be wearing a mask and we will see how it goes. Should you be in Honokaa town, drop by and say 'Aloha!'

hotzcatz":1crdjkmr said:
There seems to be some new information out from the folks keeping track of the virus. They now say that the virus is transmitted primarily via air and not from on surfaces. Although that is merely the primary vector so still wash your hands and don't touch things and then touch your face and nose. Which is good, we can now all wear masks and keep the virus under control. When you go out, wear a mask that doesn't let in outside air and you'll (according to this new report) be okay. One with a nose wire to keep the gaps between the mask and your face closed. However, of course, this is only the newest data, no telling what they will report next.

Tomorrow will be my first day back working at our little shop in town. So, I'll be wearing a mask and we will see how it goes. Should you be in Honokaa town, drop by and say 'Aloha!'
I've made my father a mask and need to make him more.
I've used the the indestructable mask pattern https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/ and inspired the construction from this video [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89o5040HGhQ[/youtube] there's good information through this guy's sense of humor I sware XD
I used 5 layers of new car cover material. I tried the iron but it didnt work and almost ruined my iron so insted I sewed the seams and sealed them using 3d fabric paint to avoid the holes sewing makes in the material. I changed the shape of the elastic ties from the indestrudtible to be more like this guy's version. One goes behind the neck, the other behind the top of the head, this puts even pressure along all the edges without stressing the ears so it's more solid and effective. I also used memory foam covered in fabric paint at the nose bridge insted of a wire. Wires dont make perfect seals, glasses wearing folks can attest to fogged up glasses caused by that and people tend to keep reajusting the wire all the time touching their faces in the process. The foam takes the shape and makes a perfect seal, no fogged up glasses and better protection.
It's a big process so it's a bit complex to explain how to make but when I make the others I could make a tutorial if you guys wanted me to I guess.

I'm about done with the mask wearing thing ,
The 6 weeks "slow the spread", [along with fear mongering, and terribly conflicting information],
-has accomplished its goal.= we now have empty hospitals .
If new cases start climbing locally,I may resume the "mask thing"..

I would love it , if the health departments, would give N95 's to the "vulnerable population" ,
and show them how and when to wear them.,...
as an ongoing, permanent program...
-as Influenza, is still killing more people, than CV19...
https://www.facebook.com/karinemelissa/ ... 170885707/

Now it's mid-August, how's everyone doing with the Covid in your area?

Here in Hawaii, we had a little bit of opening when folks flying inter-island didn't have to go through a two week quarantine. That was good, we had some folks visiting our little town and the shop at least made a little bit of profit. Now, however, since the restrictions were lifted just a little bit, folks got out, got into crowds and started spreading the virus around. We're now seeing much higher levels of Covid than before and the hospitals on Oahu are going to be in trouble if this continues. There's a ten day delay between the time folks notice there's a problem, something is done about it and then the results start showing up, though, so we've still got a week plus until the numbers will hopefully start dropping again. They just reinstated the two week quarantine for traveling inter-island.

I dunno, though, as of today they're trying to reopen the schools. I don't see how that's gonna turn out well at all.

On the home front, things are well. Since the pandemic started, we've finished the one "apocalypse" garden and harvested all the corn, beans and watermelons. It's been replanted, although the 'new-since-the-pandemic-started' chickens got in there (small half grown chicks can fit through the fence) and scratched up all the seeds so the new crop of corn is growing all higgly-piggly. These are yard birds so they wander around and scrounge for their food.

Also since the pandemic started, we finally finished the fence and got the Lawn Roombaaas.

sheepsharing.jpg

They've been there now for about ten days and are starting to make a dent in the grass in the back yard. It's still gonna take them awhile to make it look pasture like, though, most likely. They've noshed down any grasses that are under knee high and have started in on the taller grasses but a lot of it is out of their reach. I've been knocking parts of it down so they can reach it and then they can keep it short when it resprouts.

newpasture2020.jpg

We've also been getting a lot of work done on the extreme fixer, but that's still not done yet. But then, neither's the pandemic so at least we have something to work on while staying out of public groups.

we are doing fine here,
The virus is still doing fine also, and our local infection numbers are high..
The mask wearing has become mandatory for public buildings , and grocery stores.
The hospitalization numbers have began to creep back down again, but it is still dangerously high.
Tha hospitals did not run out of beds, but at one point it was close..
I am ready for this year to be over..

If you believe the tests and media the past few weeks my area have had record high positive test results. Now they are going back down.
I personally don't know anyone who has it but my mom knows of an older gentleman who died from it. Masks are "mandatory" but if you don't wear one they won't stop you and can't. I'm not worried really. I bought extra tea that helps boost immunity in general and bought elderberry syrup way at the beginning of this. I should count my blessings I guess. Back when H1N1 was the thing I DO think I caught that and it knocked me down a whole week.....never were told to wear anything over our face for that. I agree I'm ready for this to be over.
Eat well, excercise, and get your sleep.
Take care.

IMHO, record high test percentage of positives on test results is more due to testing procedures than the actual percentage of the virus in your area. Our percentage is really high - somewhere around 10% - but they don't let just anyone get tested. You have to have symptoms before they let folks get a test. Unless, folks go to a private testing site and pay $275 for the test. Then they will let anyone take the test.

My father-in-law died of Covid in April. We've not been able to have any memorial services for him but once this is over, we will have some sort of family gathering. He was a huge curmudgeon, but he was our favorite curmudgeon. He'd had a fall last December and was in a therapy rehabilitation place and not an elder care facility. Had he been in his elder care, he'd still be with us since they didn't have any outbreaks.

We're not going to be done with this pandemic until at least next summer, is what I figure. FWIW, though, bunny sales are way up.

Latest posts

Back