Shaded and Agouti genetics question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been stuck researching angora rabbit genetics like crazy recently (making my head spin a little with it). Little by little I'm starting to understand some of it, like what the letters mean and what color you have with certain combinations. But Its still a little confusing for me to grasp how certain colors react to others when bred, some make sense to me, but others... Not so much.
One the ones I'm trying to find info on is shaded and agouti. Everything I read is that I have to stay away from breeding them together because of unshowable colors (unless certain lops I think?) and thats all the info I can find on angoras and that.
I don't personally show rabbits, but I have a lot of 4H kids in my area and I'd never want to sell anything that would be bad stock, ever. But I am a fiber crafter, so woolers are always useful and colors don't matter in that regard. But I'm not going to needlessly breed, curiousity just got to me on why it is a big no.
So the main questions I have are: What are those unshowable colors? Will I get showable kits out of the litter as well or will they all be unshowable? And how badly can I mess up my genetics with such a pairing if I were to use showable colored kits (if there is any) for future breeding?
Sorry for all the questions, it seems the more research I do on it the more confused I get..

When people say to not breeding shadeds and agoutis they specifically mean to not mix sable/smoke pearl lines into agouti. That could lead to unrecognized colors: sable chinchilla & smoke pearl chinchilla. Those are genetically the same as chestnut, except on a sable base instead of black base. Tort is not a shaded color genetically and you would be fine breeding it into agouti in angoras. Pearl you might want to avoid breeding into agouti though, imo, if you want to exclusively avoid unshowable colors; Pearl is not genetically shaded either (except Sable Pearl) so you wouldn't risk getting sable chinchillas but if you cross to agouti you can end up with frosties/ermines later down the road.

Honestly, it's not too big of a deal imo, at least not in a breed where color isn't too important. Even if you mix a sable x a chestnut you'd mostly get chestnut. If the chestnut carries rew or sable you might get a mixture of chestnuts and sable chins. In most cases that result from mixing sable and agouti you'd get a mix of showable and unshowable colors. Only in a few scenarios such as breeding an agouti based rew to a seal would get entirely unshowable colors.

Thanks for the response! I really appreciate all the help you have given me recently. Since I have been only focused on breeding/raising woolers, I primarily only worried about fiber quality and temperament. But in recent, 4H leaders have reached out to me asking if I had showable pedigreed ones available that way they can have a list of rabbits nearby for the kids to choose from. So, that kinda got my gears turning, wondering if I would be able to contribute showable rabbits from my current stock of breeders (which my only fully pedigreed buck is a chocolate pearl). I would also plan on keeping the unshowables as my woolers. But even with that resolve, I don't want to do anything to hurt anyones future breeding genetics either. So, I may hold off a bit longer before I make any pedigreed litter plans to sell till I get more stock. Though I do already have a plan for one wooler litter, so I don't see the harm of having a second one :p

Latest posts

Back