Register

I failed my girls.

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,429.00

I failed my girls.

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Preitler » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:51 am

I planned one litter each this year, but I keep screwing up, buck or the girls escaped me at least twice, had their 3rd litters now, almost back to back. They are great, best does I ever had, but it shows. I'm so sorry about that, feel so bad, and it might have happened again.

EDIT, sorry for all this ranting.

I'm just so tired right now.
Last edited by Preitler on Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 12,763.00

Re: I failed my girls.

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:01 pm

things are starting to turn around here,
maybe they will soon for you also,
wish you the best,
blessings,
Michael
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,376.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:59 pm

Don't worry, you're not loosing it. Things happen and at the end of the day you've really turned your life around and you should be proud! A few unplanned litters are normal, half of mine weren't planned last year and I bought a pregnant one this year without knowing it leading to a back to back litter. Happens to everyone. You still have purpose and are loved and appreciated. Hold on and you'll make it through the storms of life. There's a reason God compares life to an ocean, beautiful yet can rage on horribly. You didn't fail your rabbits. You've given me some solid advice through the years and really helped my rabbitry take off as well, everyone here on the site appreciates you

The following user would like to thank golden rabbitry for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,429.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Preitler » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:42 am

Thanks.

This simply isn't my year, well, it's pretty much nobodys I reckon, and the days already getting shorter does effect me badly, another summer almost gone. Another long, cold and dark winter ahead *sigh*

Need to buy hay, forage won't last long enough to feed the latest litters, I just hope that was it with kits for this year - a sweet little angora buck from another breeder, half a km away and with only one bridge over the creek, broke into my fenced hutch area at night twice this week, she didn't even notice that he was missing. They are such determined creatures when you really don't want them to breed.

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,085.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby hotzcatz » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:40 pm

Eh, don't beat yourself up, these sorts of things happen. Two years ago I mistakenly ID'd a young bunny as a doe and put him in with the rest of the doe herd and then went off on a long vacation. Fortunately, the doe herd were angoras in full coats at the time so he didn't actually manage to mate with more than one or two. Hmm, come to think of it, maybe he just preferred those two instead of all fourteen of them. It turned out well, since one of the two does was a four year old who'd never had a litter before even though she'd been bred so it was good to get offspring from her.

An angora buck from half a km away, went over a bridge and then broke into a hutch area? Yee gawds and little fishes, what a determined buck! Save some of his offspring, fer sure! Your does are non-angora? The offspring won't have the long coat if they're not, but they may have denser coats.

Feed the does enough so they say in condition and it will be all good. At least you'll have baby bunnies for the wintertime?
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

The following user would like to thank hotzcatz for this post
michaels4gardens