Overweight bunny?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanessajv98

Reaction score
I have a pair of house buns, male (5yo) and female (2yo). Both have been fixed since they were young. The male is in perfect health, but the female is quite overweight and I can't figure out what's causing it.

They have an entire room to themselves with occasional free range of the house.
There's a large wooden hutch in their room that they chew regularly.
They're on a mostly hay diet, with timothy or orchard grass free choice.
They get a handful of veggies every other day or so. It's almost always romaine but they enjoy kale sometimes too. They also get a slice or 2 of bell pepper about once a week.
I feed kibbles VERY sparingly, it's a timothy only adult blend but they only get about 2 tsps each per week and it's usually in a treat ball to encourage exercise.
The only thing they have which contains alfalfa is a pressed hay cube, which they get about a 1x0.5 inch cube of each week.

Since I noticed how chunky she was getting a few months ago, I removed the orchard grass (a shame because they like it better and waste less) and cut back on the peppers and hay cubes. Her teeth and nails are all in good condition, energy level seems normal. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back