Hakaze's new cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Hakaze is a lineolated parakeet. All the attitude of a big parrot in pocket size with 1/1000th the noise. They mostly just make little squeaky noises. I wish I'd found them before I got budgies who are much harder to tame and far louder.

Anyway we are tearing down the big budgie colony and needed another cage to put budgie pairs in so I put my extra money from rabbit sales to good use and got Hakaze a new cage and perches. Actually a little smaller than his previous cage but it will fit in the condo better and it can be transported easier so he can go on vacations and such with us. He spends 6-10hrs 5-6 days out of the week not in his cage anyway so there was no reason to get him another big cage.

DSCN0370.jpg

DSCN0372.jpg

DSCN0285.jpg

DSCN0309.jpg

Unlike the budgies who come completely unglued at too many cage changes Kaze doesn't really seem to care. He just keeps checking his new food dishes to see if I slipped more bribes in there.

He is a cutie. My kids have been bugging me for a bird, but I hate budgies and don't have the space/money/commitment for a great big parrot. I considered a sweet sun conure for a while--this particular bird was sweet, I have heard they aren't known for it--but the $600 price tag stopped me. How much does a linolated parakeet run?

No, wait, I have a moratorium on "useless" pets--livestock only!! :slap:

eco2pia":21aanc2y said:
No, wait, I have a moratorium on "useless" pets--livestock only!! :slap:

Well, then, get some breeding pairs-- and you will be in the parrot breeding business---

ooops, is that enabling?

Price varies a lot by color. Anywhere from $100 for common light greens to $2000 for some dilutes and inos. I almost got a cobalt breeding pair for $300 and they aren't too hard to breed but they had not been handled in years and I wanted a tame bird. Having not bred any birds but chickens I'm going to try my hand at budgies first and when we have a house again and a little extra cash I'll get Kaze a mate. Problem is in order to sell birds for anything you really have to put in the time handfeeding them. When looking for handfed budgies I found several people who make their living breeding parrots and just spend all day handfeeding and cleaning cages.

If you don't want to handfeed an entire clutch, you can sell off some or all chicks out of nest. Or you can buy chicks out of nest to handfeed. I did that for quite some time, bought babies and fed them out to sell as pets. The birds I'm into, the breeder pairs are just way too much to keep in the house. Eclectus, amazons, etc. No 'toos though. I'm not that crazy.

Shame you aren't any closer, I'd be happy to learn you how to feed babies and help you along if you need it.

My .02 on best bird for kids is definitely a linnie. They're sweet, they're quiet, and they're colorful. Smaller conures and parrtolets can be decent too but they can be prone to being bitey and a lot of kids don't have the patience to work through that stage, or that issue if it pops up later. Next bird up I'd recommend would be a greencheek conure. Although not quite as colorful as the suns (but also nowhere near as ear bleedingly loud), they do have some fun color mutations. Like mentioned earlier, they can be a bit pinchy with the beak, but if you're consistent it shouldn't become a habit. If you're willing to go even bigger, maximilian's pionus are awesome family birds. I have one myself, and have rehabbed and rehomed two others. Total sweethearts, and they can have a decent talking ability.

Back