Bedding out of construction paper?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At work I can get cardboard/construction paper that's tossed. It is used as a dust cover more or less and the same color as cardboard.
I know straw is the old standard but I also know there is a possibility of having parasites or eggs in it.

I was wondering if I rip up this cardboard paper would that be good bedding for my doe to have her kits in? There is no ink on the paper and it would have some insulation qualities although maybe not as good as straw. At least I will know it is clean bedding free of any bug that could affect my rabbit or kits.
Is this flawed reasoning? Living in Wisconsin even if this works for warmer weather do you think it'd be enough for a cold winter litter? (Btw I don't plan on making winter deliveries a common practice)
I tried to scan the forum and didn't see this question exactly so hopefully I'm not asking an old question....
Thanks!

It's not really the straw that has parasites or eggs, it's any accumulation or residue of feces, moisture or stuff that will attract those, no matter which bedding.

I don't think cardboard is a suitable nesting material, rabbits have the instinct to gather hay or dry grass to build the nest, I guess they would just dig out that cardboard. Also, I doubt the insulation qualities are that good, espacially when it gets damp and compacts.

I just use their regular hay as nesting material, and sturdy cardboard as bottom layer - fixed to the nestbox so it can't be dug out, it just makes cleaning afterwards easier.

In winter I put a 3-5W heating pad under one corner of the nestbox (closed design with just one entry hole appr. 3" above floor level) so the kits can wiggle to their goldilocks zone.

I have used shredded cardboard, [and brown paper products] for nesting material,
I had no problems with it.
{but I also have been known to give rabbits a cardboard box, to play with
and , -they eat a lot of it...]
I didn't like shredded office "copy paper".. it didn't soak up very much before it was a nasty mess...

Running it through a shredder would make it into long strips and maybe more like nesting material? Also, I'd expect that the cut edges would soak up things easier? Not sure about the insulation factor. Hay has hollow stems which hold air which is a somewhat decent insulator. The paper wouldn't although corrugated cardboard would.

Preitler":ou5p1wsn said:
It's not really the straw that has parasites or eggs, it's any accumulation or residue of feces, moisture or stuff that will attract those, no matter which bedding.

I don't think cardboard is a suitable nesting material, rabbits have the instinct to gather hay or dry grass to build the nest, I guess they would just dig out that cardboard. Also, I doubt the insulation qualities are that good, espacially when it gets damp and compacts.

I just use their regular hay as nesting material, and sturdy cardboard as bottom layer - fixed to the nestbox so it can't be dug out, it just makes cleaning afterwards easier.

In winter I put a 3-5W heating pad under one corner of the nestbox (closed design with just one entry hole appr. 3" above floor level) so the kits can wiggle to their goldilocks zone.
OK thanks. Yeah it does get soaked pretty fast but it actually holds a lot of moister which is interesting. I tried to hide my doe out of site from my buck in the cage next to her and he ripped the paper from inside his cage to see her again lol. Then she urinated in that corner so I went to remove the wet paper and it was like a sponge.

They may just dig it out though. Thanks for the idea on the winter nest box! I like that.

__________ Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:21 pm __________

michaels4gardens":ou5p1wsn said:
I have used shredded cardboard, [and brown paper products] for nesting material,
I had no problems with it.
{but I also have been known to give rabbits a cardboard box, to play with
and , -they eat a lot of it...]
I didn't like shredded office "copy paper".. it didn't soak up very much before it was a nasty mess...
Cool thanks for sharing your experience! Yeah this definitely not computer paper but also a bit more flexible than construction paper. It also is more ruff in feel than copy paper. Super absorbent though for paper. I never thought of using standard cardboard boxes cut up. I can get a bunch of those at work free also. Maybe I will do a mix and see how it goes. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 pm __________ <br /><br />
hotzcatz":ou5p1wsn said:
Running it through a shredder would make it into long strips and maybe more like nesting material? Also, I'd expect that the cut edges would soak up things easier? Not sure about the insulation factor. Hay has hollow stems which hold air which is a somewhat decent insulator. The paper wouldn't although corrugated cardboard would.
That's the one thing I don't have. Maybe I could use works shredder.
The paper is quite absorbent since it's not as smooth as copy paper. I think hay has the edge for insulting qualities but I never thought of using the cardboard boxes chopped up. That is an interesting idea and since they are free at work and I have free trash at my apartment that might be a good idea.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back