Metal Nest box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for recomendations for a metal nesting box standard size. I have been using homemade wooden or permanent attached boxes, but this one doe will NOT stop chewing/destroying them. So she needs a metal one at least till I replace her. Any preferences?

You could put a layer of tin cans over the edges of the wooden boxes. Tin snips to make a tin can into strips, (bend the edges over so they aren't sharp). Fold them over the edges of the wooden nest box and then nail or staple them on. Plus give the doe chunks of a hardwood/fruit tree to chew on so she'd got something other than her hutch furnishings to munch.

Why not make a wire nest box. They work pretty well for me as long as I clip them to the cage so she doesn't tip it over, since it's so light.

I have NZL’s and my nest box is 10”x10”x10”. So far it has been worked well for the 6-kit litter. I have metal hanging cages and attached the hanging wire nestbox below a hole I made in the floor of an unused cage. The setup is three adjoining bays with dividers. When not pregnant, the mamma has the left bay, the buck has the far right bay, and the middle bay is empty. The week before kindling, I removed the wire divider between the dow and the empty bay. Although the nest box is all wire, we cut a piece
Of 1/4” plywood for the bottom. It seems to be working well, although this is our first time having a litter and using this system.

80639659-6756-49F6-AA7C-EA29EB71EF48.jpeg

mbennett72":34jqy0sx said:
I have NZL’s and my nest box is 10”x10”x10”. So far it has been worked well for the 6-kit litter. I have metal hanging cages and attached the hanging wire nestbox below a hole I made in the floor of an unused cage. The setup is three adjoining bays with dividers. When not pregnant, the mamma has the left bay, the buck has the far right bay, and the middle bay is empty. The week before kindling, I removed the wire divider between the dow and the empty bay. Although the nest box is all wire, we cut a piece
Of 1/4” plywood for the bottom. It seems to be working well, although this is our first time having a litter and using this system.

Lovely setup! And the babies can fall back in if they get out of the nest somehow.

Latest posts

Back