Register

Accidentally put the fear of me into my rooster

Dogs and Cats, Other Pets, Poultry and Livestock. If it's yours and it runs, flies, swims or crawls, post about it here.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,810.00

Accidentally put the fear of me into my rooster

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GBov » Fri May 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Caught a beautiful, young, healthy rooster in a parking lot near us and while he was fantastic with the hens, he was pure mental with me. Attacking - no spurs yet, thank goodness - and just not stopping.

In fighting him off I must have hit every wall, the roof, bounced him off the floor, you name it, he just would not stop. As exercise I can recommend it, he got my heart rate right up! :lol:

But, as I was super busy I had no time to kill him and was just in no mood to be kicking hell out of him to keep him off me I thought "Right you bas*$%d, this should do for a few days." and tied him with some hay rope to something heavy.

Put his food and water near and left him.

Next day I had to untangle him where he had wrapped his leg with the twin, pulling him up snug to the thing he was tied to - while he franticly tried to escape - and again left him with food and water and his hens.

With covid we only tend them once a day and each day was the same, untangle rooster while he panics. This went on for about 8 days and I thought, you are REALLY afraid of me now, sport, how bout we see how you do and guess what?

He is still totally freaked out by me and calls the hens over to the far corner, thus leaving me totally alone. :D

No idea if this will work for other roos but it sure made him easier to live with so if you need your rooster and he is a nut case, perhaps this might help.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,391.00

Re: Accidentally put the fear of me into my rooster

Post Number:#2  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 pm

I dont know chickens so I'm not qualified to judge how you handled things, but that doesnt sound good at all...

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby GBov » Fri May 22, 2020 10:52 pm

KimitsuKouseki wrote:I dont know chickens so I'm not qualified to judge how you handled things, but that doesnt sound good at all...

If you have never met a psychotic attack rooster you will never understand an animal with no off button. Being young he was not very dangerous - he did manage to break a blood vesicle in my finger which hurt like hell and give me many bruses - but had he been older his spurs would have done serious damage.

He was only without liberty, never food or water.

Now he gets to live whereas before, he was a dead bird walking.

Canada Female

Post Number:#4  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Fri May 22, 2020 11:54 pm

All I've met are the rare psychotic bunnies and those ended up on a plate so yeah

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 12,583.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat May 23, 2020 6:18 am

Having raised many chickens,
and seen too many psycho roosters,...
If there is a "next time", ...
this is what i do...
I catch him, hold him upside down by his feet for about 5 minutes,
and push his head downward ,each time he tries to raise it up toward you.
This action establishes "dominance" , like you were the "big rooster", in the flock..
worked for me the first time, each time..

It sounds like your approach ,worked "just fine"...

Having a "nasty rooster", is unacceptable in my book...
I also recycle those roosters ,who beat up hens.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Canada Female

Post Number:#6  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Sat May 23, 2020 7:49 am

michaels4gardens wrote:I catch him, hold him upside down by his feet for about 5 minutes,
and push his head downward ,each time he tries to raise it up toward you.
This action establishes "dominance" , like you were the "big rooster", in the flock..
worked for me the first time, each time..

That trick sounds better, Id just worry too much that the rope would get tangled in dangerous ways with GBov's method.

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
Zass

Post Number:#7  Unread postby GBov » Sat May 23, 2020 11:37 am

I tried that holding upside down and head thing M4G, it did not work.

Had NEVER seen a rooster act like this one :shock:

The reason I tied him up was I had no time to butcher him and I couldn't deal with his behavior for the few days it was going to take me to catch up enough to "do" him and I did not want to just kill him and toss his body into the bushes as that would have been such a waste.

And I know roosters are tethered with perfect safety all over the world so couldn't see why, short term at least, it wouldn't keep everyone safe from him and him alive so I could deal with him at my leisure.

It worked and he gets to live, as long as he keeps his fear.

Having worked my way through many MANY roosters in the past to get a good one with hens AND with people, I think it might stem from the fact that most chickens now are raised by people and not by hens. The hen raised birds I have had were one just step off feral and the roosters would spend all their time trying to get the hens as far away from people as they could manage, to the point of my having to trap them if I had to do anything with the flock. And this despite all being heavy breed chickens like Black Australorp (sp?), not known for lurking in bushes and silent running. :lol:

People raised birds tend to be "confused" as to what is, and is not, a chicken. :roll:

Speaking of broody, THREE of my hybrid laying hens are clamped to the nest box :evil: so I have had to set up a broody breaker cage as now is not the time for chicks.

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Post Number:#8  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat May 23, 2020 2:15 pm

GBov wrote:I tried that holding upside down and head thing M4G, it did not work.

Had NEVER seen a rooster act like this one

And I know roosters are tethered with perfect safety all over the world so couldn't see why, short term at least, it wouldn't keep everyone safe from him and him alive so I could deal with him at my leisure.

It worked and he gets to live, as long as he keeps his fear.

I have tethered roosters also, I use a cord with a swivel snap on one end,
[to hook to an screw-eye in the wall ]
and a leather strap to go around the leg, with holes for the tether cord to go through ,
[Just like Th e"Fighting chicken" people use]
The ones I tethered were too rough on hens, or too rough on other roosters..
i tethered them in the coop with the hens-- the hens could come over and get "serviced",
and then leave again... The swivel end ,helped keep the cord from getting all knotted up, and tangled around the rooster...

Post Number:#9  Unread postby GBov » Sat May 23, 2020 2:35 pm

With no swivel I used a loose loop above the spur to spin free but the plonker would stand on it, catch it in his toes and then proceed to, I guess, spin like a ballerina and end up 3 inches from his teether point. :roll:

Proper swivels were on order but he doesn't need them anymore so they are in a drawer, just in case.

Was looking into spur covers for when he grows proper knives and OMG do the fighting rooster people just have money to throw away? The PRICE of some of that kit and, seriously, leather is not that hard to stitch into useful shapes.

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,409.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat May 23, 2020 2:54 pm

As a temporary measure, I have used a large dog crate to hold a dangerous rooster. It works well, as long as they have shade as well as feed and water. I wouldn't care to do it on a permanent basis however.

GBov, you make a good point about people-raised poultry and aggression. I'd like to hear experiences about this from other members too.

KimitsuKouseki, if you had ever had to deal with an aggressive rooster -- or gander, for that matter -- you would know that they are capable of inflicting serious damage. Those spurs can be a good two inches long at maturity and very sharp.

Our first rooster was protective of his hens, but very tolerant of people. Every rooster after that was psychotic. The last one, a Welsummer, was gorgeous and great with the hens -- but he was not only aggressive with me, he was also sneaky. I named him Lucifer. He would pretend he wasn't interested in me and go in a wide circle, apparently minding his own business until he could get behind me. Then he'd attack, spurs first at the back of my legs.

One day, a man stopped at our yard sale. He admired the Lucifer, asked his breed, and his eyes lit up when I told him. "You want him?" I asked, and proceeded to tell him of the bird's temperament. Well, he had a few Welsummer hens that he wanted to breed, so he took him quite happily. I heard later that Lucifer made a career of making life miserable for the man's wife.

I do think that aggressive roosters and ganders are more likely to pick on women than men. It could be because we are often shorter, but I think it may also have to do with our voices. Female voices are higher and when we yell at something, it tends to be shrill. My theory is that it triggers them. I made a practice of using a deep voice with our gander and had less trouble than before -- and only in breeding season.

But NOTHING worked with Lucifer, now immortalized in my novel.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
michaels4gardens, Zass

Canada Female

Post Number:#11  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Sat May 23, 2020 5:35 pm

I keep telling my father he'd have to be the one handling them every time he mentions getting chickens. I'm not interrested at all in chickens and I'm convinced ducks would be better suited for us. Ducks eat garden slugs and wouldnt dig up his garden so they'd be a big help for his crops. They still produce eggs, granted not as often, but enough for our needs. Their meat is great and their fat is actually healthy to cook with. He keeps going back to dreaming about chickens though, he's kinda old school and ducks are too alien to him I guess. I refuse to care for chickens though, insted of protecting the garden they'd destroy it. Birds in general are already not my cup of tea so weighing ducks vs chickens on paper, ducks seem much better for us and are the only ones I'd be willing to give a go at.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#12  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun May 24, 2020 7:22 am

KimitsuKouseki wrote:I keep telling my father he'd have to be the one handling them every time he mentions getting chickens. I'm not interrested at all in chickens and I'm convinced ducks would be better suited for us. Ducks eat garden slugs and wouldnt dig up his garden so they'd be a big help for his crops. They still produce eggs, granted not as often, but enough for our needs. Their meat is great and their fat is actually healthy to cook with. He keeps going back to dreaming about chickens though, he's kinda old school and ducks are too alien to him I guess. I refuse to care for chickens though, insted of protecting the garden they'd destroy it. Birds in general are already not my cup of tea so weighing ducks vs chickens on paper, ducks seem much better for us and are the only ones I'd be willing to give a go at.

Ducks also will decimate some garden plants, they will eat a zucchini plant to the ground in an hour,
same with some varieties of kale, and leaf lettuce. Some crops are safe around ducks, unless you allow the ducks to become hungry..
I used ducks successfully in a field of garlic, they liked the grass, and some weeds ,more than the garlic tops..

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
dfr1973, KimitsuKouseki

Post Number:#13  Unread postby GBov » Sun May 24, 2020 4:22 pm

Ducks are also HUGE crappers, like, megatons of poo! They put chickens to shame and chickens are pretty good pooers in their own respects.

Love duck eggs though, and duck meat is fantastic.

Why not try both and see which ones you love best.

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
michaels4gardens

Canada Female

Post Number:#14  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Sun May 24, 2020 6:42 pm

GBov wrote:Ducks are also HUGE crappers, like, megatons of poo! They put chickens to shame and chickens are pretty good pooers in their own respects.

Love duck eggs though, and duck meat is fantastic.

Why not try both and see which ones you love best.

I'd rather not try either to be honest, birds are alien to me so I'm not comfortable with the idea much. Ducks seemed like they would at least provide some advantages compared to chickens. If we ever end up getting either it'll be my dad's fault and I honestly don't look forward to it. I prefer my floofy buns and my hands are already full with them.

Thanks for the insight though.

Post Number:#15  Unread postby GBov » Sun May 24, 2020 7:22 pm

Nothing on earth is easier than chickens, seriously so much gain for so little time and money. Deep shavings, water on a table to keep it clean, a roost and a nest box and in your climate, lots of shade.

They don't have to free-range unless you want them too, a roofed-over 10 by 10 dog kennel is plenty of room for enough hens to keep you in eggs and no stooping over to access the coop. And no need for a rooster unless you want to hatch some meat or replacement hens but point of lay birds are fine to get you going.

An old desk is great, one drawer for the nest box and the top for water. Toss the food into the deep litter and they will keep turning the shavings over all day long.

Don't buy old hens, eat them. Pay the going price for 6-month-old birds instead of chicks, they will pay you back in spades.

Ducks are filthy, learn with hens first, that makes ducks easier to deal with.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to encourage you to get more animals but buns and hens just go together so well, meat and eggs, eggs and meat. :D

Do you like lizards? Chickens are just lizards with feathers. :lol:

Next