Register

This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 602
Joined: April 13, 2017
Location: Quebec
Canada Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 102 in 89 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,376.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#16  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Thu May 21, 2020 6:54 am


GBov wrote:Thank you all, I love RTers, always thinking outside the box, which, in today's world, is wonderful.

The dr. frightened them by reminding them that they were in the "vulnerable" category (as are we) so they have said that, until Scotland lifts restrictions, they just won't rent it out.

We had planned it all out carefully, up to and including extra supplies to go into strict quarantine for two full weeks once there. And, as we have been isolating for 5 weeks longer than the actual lockdown, we are as safe as it is possible to be, virus wise.

I did tell the estate agent all of this but no good, all is on hold for no one knows how long.

Keeping positive gets harder all the time.

That's a real shame then. Hopefully things get better soon in the world.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 2484
Joined: December 6, 2013
Location: Piney Flats ,Tn.
United States of America Male
Thanks: 1530
Thanked: 751 in 589 posts
BunnyBucks: 12,398.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#17  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu May 21, 2020 7:06 am


GBov wrote:Thank you all, I love RTers, always thinking outside the box, which, in today's world, is wonderful.

The dr. frightened them by reminding them that they were in the "vulnerable" category (as are we) so they have said that, until Scotland lifts restrictions, they just won't rent it out.

We had planned it all out carefully, up to and including extra supplies to go into strict quarantine for two full weeks once there. And, as we have been isolating for 5 weeks longer than the actual lockdown, we are as safe as it is possible to be, virus wise.

I did tell the estate agent all of this but no good, all is on hold for no one knows how long.

Keeping positive gets harder all the time.


One of my "English" penfriends says,- she thinks the "no renting , no house buying",
restrictions are about to be lifted [in England] .. I sure hope so..
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Posts: 2510
Joined: May 25, 2012
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks: 17
Thanked: 368 in 276 posts
BunnyBucks: 14,775.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#18  Unread postby GBov » Thu May 21, 2020 7:33 am


michaels4gardens wrote:One of my "English" penfriends says,- she thinks the "no renting , no house buying",
restrictions are about to be lifted [in England] .. I sure hope so..


It is already in the UK but the Isle of Coll is in Scotland and they are being, rightly so, more cautious.

We are going to send a letter to the island Dr. and explain our cause and see if that might help. Will also keep looking and once the restrictions lift we will get moved into the first thing we can get, if we haven't managed before that.

Providing we all live through the spray season. This has been the longest, hottest, dryest spring on record in this area which is NOT helping. :roll:

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
michaels4gardens

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 7526
Joined: December 26, 2009
Location: near London, Ontario
Canada Female
Thanks: 46
Thanked: 812 in 693 posts
BunnyBucks: 34,281.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#19  Unread postby ladysown » Thu May 21, 2020 11:37 am


a good terrier takes out rats nicely too. :)

Or for good traps check out Shawn Woods on youtube. Does mouse and rat traps reviews.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 602
Joined: April 13, 2017
Location: Quebec
Canada Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 102 in 89 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,376.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#20  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Thu May 21, 2020 12:39 pm


GBov wrote:We are going to send a letter to the island Dr. and explain our cause and see if that might help. Will also keep looking and once the restrictions lift we will get moved into the first thing we can get, if we haven't managed before that.

Very good idea! Hope he takes you under his wing :angel:

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Posts: 2510
Joined: May 25, 2012
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks: 17
Thanked: 368 in 276 posts
BunnyBucks: 14,775.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#21  Unread postby GBov » Thu May 21, 2020 5:11 pm


Dropped it in the post box this evening. Fingers crossed it works!

Rats. Have put plaster bombs out and have a big bowl under the sink. Had one all over the pantry shelf eating and despoiling, as they do. :evil:

Am playing an interesting game outside, feeding them in one plant pot linked via a walking stick to another pot they can climb up. On the walking stick is now a can that spins freely and under it is a half-full of water, 3-gallon bucket.

As they are all bold as brass I can tweak the setup and then see how they get round it. An hour ago I lifted the feed pot up onto two more plant pots and moved it out of jump reach of another pot.

Because they can't reach the rabbits and eat their food now, they are getting really hungry now. The trap I bought is useless.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 602
Joined: April 13, 2017
Location: Quebec
Canada Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 102 in 89 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,376.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#22  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Fri May 22, 2020 3:22 am


GBov wrote:Dropped it in the post box this evening. Fingers crossed it works!

Rats. Have put plaster bombs out and have a big bowl under the sink. Had one all over the pantry shelf eating and despoiling, as they do. :evil:

Am playing an interesting game outside, feeding them in one plant pot linked via a walking stick to another pot they can climb up. On the walking stick is now a can that spins freely and under it is a half-full of water, 3-gallon bucket.

As they are all bold as brass I can tweak the setup and then see how they get round it. An hour ago I lifted the feed pot up onto two more plant pots and moved it out of jump reach of another pot.

Because they can't reach the rabbits and eat their food now, they are getting really hungry now. The trap I bought is useless.

Look at more of Shawn Woods' videos, see if you can find a trap that'd work for you.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Posts: 2510
Joined: May 25, 2012
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks: 17
Thanked: 368 in 276 posts
BunnyBucks: 14,775.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#23  Unread postby GBov » Fri May 22, 2020 8:26 am


I will check out the traps as my bucket one is being messed up by the wind today.

The rat that is coming inside has taken away two of my three sweet potatoes :evil: which is insult added to injury! :lol:

Yesterday the wind was from off the sea and everyone had good eyes, including the bunnies. Woke this morning to the wind from the land, my eyes gummed up (and other nasty symptoms) and two of the three kits have eyes glued shut.

Got eye drops and am watering them down in a cup to bathe their eyes with and it does seem to help.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1732
Joined: November 5, 2011
Location: Nowhere Ohio
United States of America Female
Thanks: 29
Thanked: 80 in 70 posts
BunnyBucks: 9,871.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#24  Unread postby ohiogoatgirl » Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 pm


If ever I was to move that part of the world.. I'd probably be most tempted here.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ronaldsay They are known for an island specific sheep that spend most of the year on the beaches eating seaweed.
Can I get back all that spare time I used to have?

https://www.instagram.com/girlwalkswithgoats/

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Posts: 2510
Joined: May 25, 2012
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks: 17
Thanked: 368 in 276 posts
BunnyBucks: 14,775.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#25  Unread postby GBov » Sat May 30, 2020 9:56 am


ohiogoatgirl wrote:If ever I was to move that part of the world.. I'd probably be most tempted here.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ronaldsay They are known for an island specific sheep that spend most of the year on the beaches eating seaweed.


Have seen many things about Ronaldsay, it is super cool and the sheep are even cooler.

It is a bank holiday weekend so no chance our letter got to the island dr. yet, waiting is hard.

Now playing a game with the hoards of rats, I put food in a pot and then a water filled trash can beside it and a stick to cross from the table to the food with.

Did not know rats can jump straight up 30 inches. :shock:

-- Sat May 30, 2020 9:56 am --

Forgot to say no chance of a cat here as all the rescue places are closed and it really isn't safe for one here, the road is too close.

Have killed 6 rats in the bucket trap but the rest learned how to walk over the cans without tipping them. Now have it set up with a false floor and am baiting them in to feed on it, then will replace the floor with water and floating feed. Should get the three litters of youngsters now eating from the trap, at least.

No word back from the island dr. but Scotland is in phase one of lifting the lockdown and moves are allowed in phase two so we should be able to move soon.

Realized that one of the two remaining bucks had gone stone-blind and mostly deaf from whatever it was that killed all the does. He was blind for over a week but yesterday he could see again so I am thrilled at that, he is a sweet bun.

The other buck has gone very aggressive and tried actively to bite me yesterday and, as he has no purpose other than as "spare buck" I will keep his hide and give the rest to the garden, I won't even eat him.

Wound up not giving that crazy red doe to the chickens either, just buried her.

Watching the news today, the world has gone insane.

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
michaels4gardens

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 602
Joined: April 13, 2017
Location: Quebec
Canada Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 102 in 89 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,376.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#26  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Sat May 30, 2020 11:41 am


I feel rly bad for your bunnies, not your fault at all but its just horrible what they've suffered. Good thing you're not eating em, could be a health hazard if you did.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 2484
Joined: December 6, 2013
Location: Piney Flats ,Tn.
United States of America Male
Thanks: 1530
Thanked: 751 in 589 posts
BunnyBucks: 12,398.00

Re: This one has me baffled and almost out of rabbits

Post Number:#27  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun May 31, 2020 6:57 am


GBov wrote:
Watching the news today, the world has gone insane.


yes it has, ...In the US, it's another election year...
The much televised, and well organised violence and craziness,..was so predictable.
I'm so sick of politics,... and, there is nowhere to hide from it..
I spend a lot of my time out in my garden, I leave my cell phone turned off ...

Even though I stopped "participating" in the divide and conquer tactic ,
that we call politics , many years ago ,
it still frustrating to see "that same show" going on and on...
it repeats the same episodes, over and over , every time ......

"Where have all the flowers gone,
Oh ,when will we ever learn"...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests