Register

pandemic

Off-topic Discussions, Member News, Funny Stories and Jokes.
Canada
BunnyBucks: 80.00

Re: pandemic

Post Number:#16  Unread postby CanineWild » Wed May 13, 2020 9:32 am

I've been really lucky all things considered- I'm in Manitoba Canada, and in a small town setting, so my risk was lower than many. I think we had around 250 cases province wide, and 9 deaths, which is still awful of course, but a lot less than many many other places. I think we're not having any new cases currently, and things are opening back up a bit. It's one of the good things in living in a bit of a backwater place ;P

Still stayed home except for grocery runs when needed and suchlike, but that's not greatly different than usual. I really miss being able to meet my sister or friends out for coffee and whatnot, but if that's all I'm worried about I can't complain!

Of course, through all of this I have had to move (well, I'm still in the process, but almost done), which is ridiculous timing on the one hand, but excellent on the other as I'm moving to a more rural-ish property just in time to get a bigger garden going than I was going to be able to, and I got 4 lovely little hens! This summer I'm going to be building hutches as well, as I have a rabbit breeder getting me some meat buns at the end of August or so!

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 12,398.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed May 13, 2020 4:07 pm

Our garden is looking good, except for some frost damage the last few days, -
We have been staying in, and watching everyone else drive by ,for 2 months.
We have almost no new cases here, I think 4 last week. but no one has died,
and most new cases were from testing well people.
I am grateful this didn't affect us like it did China, in the beginning .
People here are returning to work, some are wearing masks, but most are not.
Some are social distancing, but most are not..
The restaurant "the kids" work at is opening for take out, but from reports, they are not
calling most employees back until they can open the dining area all the way..
We are just fine, we had everything we need already in stock.. when the panic hit...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,376.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Thu May 14, 2020 5:21 am

My life hasnt changed much since I was already homebound since over a year ago. My dad started isolating us 2 weeks before everyone else started and people were saying we were crazy back then.... we were just early, my health is very fragile and my father worries. Even packages I order I'm not allowed to touch until after 2 days later and if I do touch he makes sure I've washed my hands (I'm 32 years old btw, I'm not a kid lol)
Main change to things atm is, I just don't sell my rabbits anymore, I'm kinda sad though cause I'm having to chop for meat some really nice angora kits when they never got a chance for new homes :( They are starting to mature though and I dont have the extra space to split them up so I don't have a choice if I want to avoid things getting out of hand. Still sad though sigh

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby hotzcatz » Fri May 15, 2020 1:37 pm

I'd offer to buy your bunnies from you Kimi, but international shipping - especially to Hawaii - in a pandemic is about impossible. There's a lot of cancelled flights and no more direct flights to our island so incoming livestock gets as far as the ag inspection desk in Honolulu and then what? They don't shift the shipment to the interisland airline so the bunnies could only get as far as Oahu and not get to our island.

As for the pandemic, our island currently has no active cases and of the 74 people who have tested positive, they've all gotten better. No deaths. We've been on lock down - the whole state - since mid-March. Currently EVERYONE who flies into the state is supposed to be on a two week quarantine, although some tourists are not complying. Some of them have been shipped home, some have $5K fines, I don't know if any of them are doing the one year in jail, I don't think so. It's really, really rude of them, we've pretty much gutted our economy to keep the virus out and one entitled and infected tourist could wreck the whole effort we've put into it. Some of the other islands, especially Oahu, are having a much worse problem with active cases and people dying. Our island has limited healthcare, when things get serious we usually go to Oahu so it's important that we keep the virus out.

As mentioned previously, we no longer have any direct flights to our island. Everyone (and everything) has to fly into Honolulu airport on Oahu first and then take another flight to get to us, so that has helped with the spread of the virus. However, we have have a tourist based economy in our state, I think the unemployment is around 40% at the moment.

As for us personally, things are quieter but not a lot different. My SO retired several years ago, so we're used to being home together. Part of my work is online, so that's not changed. The other part is working in a small shop in town, which has been shut down and a ghost town since mid-March. We are planning to open the shop next week with reduced hours, masks and social distancing. Lots of hand sanitizer, too. So we are starting to come out of isolation, but it's gonna be really limited for probably the rest of this year and part of next.

I've got half a new bunny hutch built, but have to clear out where I want to put it in the yard before it can be finished. We've been fencing the back yard for sheep and the new bunny hutch may be near the sheep fence so I gotta put in the fence before the bunny hutch. Before putting in the fence, the tall grass (9 to 12' or 3 to 4 meters) has to be cut down. However, as an earlier part of the fencing project, we beat up the grass on a hillside so it seemed a good opportunity to terrace the hillside with a raised bed garden.

The sheep fence is in at the top of the hillside, but it's a huge mess below and the sheep won't be eating there.

Ricky Rooster helped make sure no extra bugs went into the new garden, although I hid the worms so he didn't see them. He got all the grubs. He was a hen until about four months ago when he decided to grow a tail and crow. Wretched roosters! Oh well, he's a friendly kinda guy and good with eating bugs. There's one white hen and she stayed a hen so with a pair maybe there will be chicks later.

Finished, seeded and anti-rooster (and hen) fencing installed. There's 'True Gold' sweetcorn, 'Strawberry' watermelons (what a strange name for a watermelon) and 'Good Mother Stallard' pole beans. This picture was from April 6th. I don't have any current pictures but the corn is now about ten inches taller than the wooden corner posts. Here's a picture from last week.

We've started on the next terrace which will be in that tall grass area on the far side of the garden in the pictures. But, it takes awhile to get a terraced raised bed garden ready to plant. The only fertilizer we have is bunny 'berries' and they seem to be doing really well.

We've also been working on an extreme fixer upper which is supposed to become a rental at some point, although I think I'd rather live there myself. So, we've been well, staying home and staying busy but it will be really nice to visit with friends again.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

Canada Female

Post Number:#20  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Fri May 15, 2020 5:45 pm

hotzcatz wrote:I'd offer to buy your bunnies from you Kimi, but international shipping - especially to Hawaii - in a pandemic is about impossible. There's a lot of cancelled flights and no more direct flights to our island so incoming livestock gets as far as the ag inspection desk in Honolulu and then what? They don't shift the shipment to the interisland airline so the bunnies could only get as far as Oahu and not get to our island.

Yeah those that dont take the quarantine seriously are a real trouble everywhere really. My friend started working again today, she works at SUBWAY, she's happy. Me, I'm gonna maintain isolation for a long while still though because of my health.

Hopefully you don't struggle too much being so isolated from outside supplies. I'm sure you're almost fully able to cut yourself off and manage well, even more than me, but being so isolated can be dangerous sometimes. I hope all goes well for you.
If you ever need new angora blood at a time the world is kinder, we could arrange you getting some of mine hotzcatz. Although I've never shipped rabbits and I'd worry to death something would go wrong XD. The current youngsters are just out of luck really, who knew this would happen? It's not their or mine's fault, but measures have to be taken. I've chopped 2 already, tonight will be 2 more and tomorrow the last 2 :/
You could probly take Clovis btw, my pure english angora buck, I only need to get a lionhead cross heir from him and he can be let go. He's a really strong and nice buck so he should be able to handle being shipped. I've been putting off getting his heir cause I like him but, ultimately, my goal is to make my fluffy eared lionheads and keeping pure angoras is superfluous for me.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Post Number:#21  Unread postby hotzcatz » Sat May 16, 2020 2:47 pm

I hope your friend working at Subway is able to have proper anti-virus procedures in place! We just had a new case of Covid show up on our island yesterday. It is over in Kailua-Kona, so it could have been brought in by a traveler, but I don't have any details yet. Since we're all staying home, it's much harder to get as much island news as before. Usually the 'coconut wireless' is how we find out about a lot of local news but without everyone chatting with each other, it's kinda hard to find out things.

We are always somewhat isolated from outside supplies, even in times of no pandemic. If we see something at a shop that we want or need, we don't assume it's going to be there if we go back later. Sometimes it will be reorderd, sometimes not, so if we can, we get it then. Thanksgiving (does Canada have a similar fall festival or feast of some sort?) turkeys and Christmas trees (which are both shipped in) are usually either too many or not enough and go in alternate years. If one year there's plenty of them, the next year they will be scarce and sold out quickly.

About half the rabbits we sell get shipped, although that's a shorter inter-island flight and not the hours long flight from the mainland. I've only ever gotten one mainland shipment and that was six adult rabbits shipped from the mainland mid-west area in 2009. That's pretty much been the genetic source we've been working with ever since. I try to get other folks breeding them so we can swap bucks every few generations. That was basically just one person and I was getting ready to borrow a buck from him since the levels of inbreeding here are getting a bit high but he lost all his rabbits last month to a dog attack. ARRGH!

Hmm, apparently to import a rabbit to the United States from Canada, there's no particular requirements. To import a rabbit to Hawaii, it has to have a veterinary certificate and it has to be inspected in Honolulu. Which is on a different island, so I'd have to organize someone to go get the rabbit from the inspection desk and put it on another air flight to this island. Also, multiple rabbits can go in one carrier, so if this were to be done, it would be better to get multiple rabbits shipped in at one time.

It's pretty hard to source good breed stock from far away. There may be a buck from Maui since there's someone over there who has imported some angoras, although she's been getting them from a fiber group on FB, so no telling quality or even if they're purebred. They don't come with pedigrees, usually, when they're from wooler homes. Usually, though, a breeder is much more likely to let a quality buck go than a good doe. A breeder only needs so many bucks who have to be housed separately, while does can be kept in a group. At least, the ones around here can, I don't know how other folks set up their rabbitry.

For shipping, I'll usually let the young ones get a few weeks older than if they were going to a local new home. I usually wait until they're at nine to ten weeks old before any of them go to a new home, but if they're being shipped then ten to twelve weeks is a good time. It also gives me more time to sort out which ones I want to keep, sometimes it's hard to tell how they're gonna be as an adult when they're still so young.

Canada Female

Post Number:#22  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Sat May 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Yeah I hope my friend will be ok too.

I'm a seemstress so that shopping attitude has been the same for me when looking at farbics and other sewing accessories so I get it XD

I decided to send you a private message about the angoras that way we can chat a bit more without crowding this thread so much.

Post Number:#23  Unread postby hotzcatz » Tue May 19, 2020 3:08 pm

There seems to be some new information out from the folks keeping track of the virus. They now say that the virus is transmitted primarily via air and not from on surfaces. Although that is merely the primary vector so still wash your hands and don't touch things and then touch your face and nose. Which is good, we can now all wear masks and keep the virus under control. When you go out, wear a mask that doesn't let in outside air and you'll (according to this new report) be okay. One with a nose wire to keep the gaps between the mask and your face closed. However, of course, this is only the newest data, no telling what they will report next.

Tomorrow will be my first day back working at our little shop in town. So, I'll be wearing a mask and we will see how it goes. Should you be in Honokaa town, drop by and say 'Aloha!'

The following user would like to thank hotzcatz for this post
Zass

Canada Female

Post Number:#24  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue May 19, 2020 3:23 pm

hotzcatz wrote:There seems to be some new information out from the folks keeping track of the virus. They now say that the virus is transmitted primarily via air and not from on surfaces. Although that is merely the primary vector so still wash your hands and don't touch things and then touch your face and nose. Which is good, we can now all wear masks and keep the virus under control. When you go out, wear a mask that doesn't let in outside air and you'll (according to this new report) be okay. One with a nose wire to keep the gaps between the mask and your face closed. However, of course, this is only the newest data, no telling what they will report next.

Tomorrow will be my first day back working at our little shop in town. So, I'll be wearing a mask and we will see how it goes. Should you be in Honokaa town, drop by and say 'Aloha!'

I've made my father a mask and need to make him more.
I've used the the indestructable mask pattern https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/ and inspired the construction from this video there's good information through this guy's sense of humor I sware XD
I used 5 layers of new car cover material. I tried the iron but it didnt work and almost ruined my iron so insted I sewed the seams and sealed them using 3d fabric paint to avoid the holes sewing makes in the material. I changed the shape of the elastic ties from the indestrudtible to be more like this guy's version. One goes behind the neck, the other behind the top of the head, this puts even pressure along all the edges without stressing the ears so it's more solid and effective. I also used memory foam covered in fabric paint at the nose bridge insted of a wire. Wires dont make perfect seals, glasses wearing folks can attest to fogged up glasses caused by that and people tend to keep reajusting the wire all the time touching their faces in the process. The foam takes the shape and makes a perfect seal, no fogged up glasses and better protection.
It's a big process so it's a bit complex to explain how to make but when I make the others I could make a tutorial if you guys wanted me to I guess.

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 12,398.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed May 20, 2020 11:05 am

I'm about done with the mask wearing thing ,
The 6 weeks "slow the spread", [along with fear mongering, and terribly conflicting information],
-has accomplished its goal.= we now have empty hospitals .
If new cases start climbing locally,I may resume the "mask thing"..

I would love it , if the health departments, would give N95 's to the "vulnerable population" ,
and show them how and when to wear them.,...
as an ongoing, permanent program...
-as Influenza, is still killing more people, than CV19...
https://www.facebook.com/karinemelissa/ ... 170885707/
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Post Number:#26  Unread postby hotzcatz » Sat May 30, 2020 2:37 am

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/86339
A doctor's response to "it's just like the flu"

I think we're gonna have a second and worse wave starting really soon. Folks want to get out, they've been cooped up. They go out, they get in groups, they don't want to wear a mask and they generally misbehave. But, the virus is still out there and there's going to be a huge amount of new cases. Wearing masks in summer's heat is going to be miserable but we will pretty much be wearing them here and social distancing until (and if) a vaccine shows up.

The following user would like to thank hotzcatz for this post
Zass

Previous