Raw Fleeces, now what?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
It seems a bit silly but OMG at that price ($45 delivery included) how could I say no to two full Shetland fleeces?

I only started looking on the UK version of Craigslist to see prices and breeds to help my youngest son decide on what sheep breed he wants to have - his FHA class had a lamb one year and he fell in love - and then thought, well, as fleeces are so inexpensive, why not get some of the breed he is most interested in - Shetland - and see how we like the fiber as lamb/mutton is simply delish no matter what breed so it is all about the wool really.

The fleeces arrived today and ooooOOOOOOOOoooooo how cool, one rich brown and the smaller one grey/blue. About 9 pounds of raw wool in total.

So, what now? :lol:

Have I said how much fun raw Shetland wool is?

It is SO MUCH FUN!!!!

Have made a scarf and a hat and have traded a hat to be for a real leather sofa and cushy chair.

List of must haves? A wool picker and a drum carder!

A picker is pretty easy to make and there's several different versions. Couple of boards and some big sharpened nails and you can cobble up a picker. A drum carder is a lot harder and carder cloth (the rubber stuff with the stickers in it) is pretty pricey.

For small amounts, dog slicker brushes work somewhat. The kind with the button on the back to push the fiber out of the tines is a good thing, too. Way less expensive than a drum carder, but way slower, too.

When you do find a drum carder, if you happen to have an old treadle sewing machine base around, mounting the carder on a treadle base lets you power it with your feet and have two hands to feed fiber into the carder. I've seen some carders run from stationary bicycles, too.

I got two small carding brushes and have just about worn them out now, they keep shedding bristles :evil: but as they are still working, I will keep using them (and picking the bits out) until I get the workshop done and the picker made.

So far I have made a needle felted Highland Cow for a friend although Shetland felts much softer than I like I did manage to get Hamish tough enough to stand on his own. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JoywaRwhB7Z37PWh6

A scarf which turned into a neck pillow cover for the Mumster that I have no pictures of.

And my wonky hat that everyone now wants so I have a list of people to make them for. The only picture I have of it is my daughter and me being silly in the fantastic town of Whitby so not the best but here it is anyway. https://photos.app.goo.gl/uNioDauenpSfW6kNA

For Christmas my kids got me four more Shetland fleeces, black, fawn, cream, and light blue (total cost of only$50, delivery included :shock: ) so am thrilled with them. Have started washing the black today as the first hat is to be black. We traded, she gave me a cream leather three seater sofa and squishy chair and in return she wants a black hat.

Win win indeed!

Having sorted out a way to produce sheets of felt in the space I have available that are one/two feet wide by two/three feet long so depending on what I am making at the time - much fun is being had by me.

Oh, and I can now boor people with wool AND rabbits! :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:10 am __________ <br /><br /> I LOVE this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqlho5hgvn4

So what are you going to make with the new Shetland fleeces? Are they in similar colors to the fleeces you started with? I looked into getting a couple or three Shetland sheepies, but shipping was too expensive so no Shetland sheepies for me. Sigh!

I just washed a couple skeins of newly spun colored Merino yarn. I'd met a shepherd friend of mine several weeks ago and bought a couple fleeces from him to send to the mill with our bunny fluff. Can't send all of the fleece to the mill without playing with at least a little bit of it! So, I kept enough wool from the darker fleece to make a skein of yarn then packed that up and sent it in with the tawny and fawn colors of bunny fluff. I saved the more gray colored fleece to go in with the black/blue/agouti colors of angora fluff. Haven't sent that one in yet, it still needs to be picked over.

So, I spun up the darker and lighter Merino into skeins of yarn. The darker came out to a chocolate brown after it was washed and the light gray became a lot warmer of a gray than I'd expected. It's softer than the darker brown but not sure if I didn't send the wrong colors of bunny fluff in with the dark brown. I possibly should have sent the black bunny fluff and saved the tawny to go with the lighter fleece. And I should have kept that darker fleece to spin more brown Merino so there'd be enough here to make something now that I have one lovely skein of dark brown Merino. One skein wonders, I guess? Well, it can go into the yarn stash and it will become something. Hmm, maybe I can knit it into a hat and bribe my shepherd friend into parting with another colored fleece?

I have three hats to make so the black fleece at least is earmarked for one.

Got it washed yesterday and then found that my new to me washer has no spin cycle. A wash and spin but not just spin so I am grumpy. When the fleeces are spun dry they finish drying on the radiator in just a couple of hours but they are going to take a couple of days to dry without spinning.

And yes, I did try putting them in a lace curtain and spinning like a top to dry them and all I have to say is, soooooo glad no one could see me. :lol:

:oops: Have contacted a seller about six, yes, SIX more Shetland fleeces and another seller about a different kind of wool whose name escapes me now. It all started with my searching for a pound of roving for the core of a Gnomette I have to make and honestly, I can get three full fleeces for the price on a pound of white roving. :shock:

It really is starting to look like a wool hoarder lives here. :oops: <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:17 am __________ <br /><br /> Three Hill Radnor fleeces are on their way. $6.00 each plus $8.00 for delivery.

Someone needs to remove my access to the internet, the house is filling up with wool! :lol:

What are "Hill Radnor" fleeces? Is that a type of sheep? What type of wool do they have?

Properly stored wool will last for years, although exactly what constitutes 'properly', I'm not quite sure. It helps if they're clean fleeces. Dry is important, possibly more important for dry than clean. Heavily skirted, dry, stuffed into an old pillowcase and put up in the attic has worked for me. Heat can keep away wool moths, they say. Wool moths are evil, adding in packets of cedar shavings or lavender can be useful. There's always moth balls, but those are too stinky, IMHO. Or spin it really really fat and make it into rugs. That can use up a fleece or three. The sheep are out there making more fleeces as we type, no shortage of fleeces.

https://www.rbst.org.uk/hill-radnor They are indeed a breed of sheep. I need a solidly felting wool for the core of my gnome-ies and after paying so little for full fleeces it is hard to pay the asking price for roving. Well, it is for me anyway. :oops:

I just hope it works for what I need but even if it doesn't, it will be good for something, eh? <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:43 am __________ <br /><br /> It works just fine as a core wool and will work for other things as well. Less soft then the Shetland but much softer than the Grey Faced Leicester so spot on for many projects.

Including the big lump I have simmering to see how much lanoline I can extract from it. :cool:

Oh, and it smells good, too. :D

Oh, since your washer doesn't have a spin only cycle, if you have the wool in smaller amounts, a salad spinner works pretty well, too.

hotzcatz":38njo0uo said:
Oh, since your washer doesn't have a spin only cycle, if you have the wool in smaller amounts, a salad spinner works pretty well, too.

I found I could wash it on the wool cycle and it worked a treat. Who knew, eh? :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Sat May 16, 2020 6:10 pm __________ <br /><br /> I do have to double wash white, once in the machine, then card, then wash in the sink gently with hot water and then card again once dry.

That brings the white up sparkling but makes me double think anything I might make in white. "Is it worth the effort?"

This, for a friend, was. https://photos.app.goo.gl/saZc8E3XJyQvp5eh8

What's that blue stuff you can put in whites to make them sparkling white? Mrs. Stewart's Laundry Bluing, I think it's called? I put that on white wool, white pets, whatever is being washed that's white. Oh, put it on wet things, not dry things or you may end up with blue spots. I think you're supposed to dilute it before pouring it on, but I usually just squirt it from the bottle into or onto whatever is being washed.

When I lived on a boat, I'd wash the dog on the dock. He was a border collie so the laundry bluing would get the whites white and the blacks blacker somehow. I'd get him all wet and sudsy from the shampoo and then squirt laundry bluing on him. The suds would become bright blue. He'd usually jump into the harbor about halfway through his bath and then there'd be blue suds and a sparkly white and black dog swimming in them. This was way back before pollution or EPA or stuff like that so nobody complained about the bright blue suds except perhaps the dog.

White for me is used as an accent and not usually for the whole what ever I'm making. Maybe as a scarf? A white scarf may have a hope of staying white?

hotzcatz":1i7i47iw said:
What's that blue stuff you can put in whites to make them sparkling white? Mrs. Stewart's Laundry Bluing, I think it's called? I put that on white wool, white pets, whatever is being washed that's white. Oh, put it on wet things, not dry things or you may end up with blue spots. I think you're supposed to dilute it before pouring it on, but I usually just squirt it from the bottle into or onto whatever is being washed.
There's also blue shampoo for white haired people, but by far the purple shampoo is the most powerful. I used that all the time when my hair was bleached white. Very strong though so expect a purple tint if left too long XD

Test anything on little samples. A lot of things will start to eat through the fiber. Like a lot of old tapestries all have the same colors fell out of them. The heavy metals and processes weakened the wool fibers so you know based on deterioration what colors were most likely.
I'm not sure if they have it there but Orvus paste is sold in TSC and farm stores for washing livestock for shows etc. I see plenty enough people in the spinners facebook groups use that for stubborn dirty fleeces. But just remember some wools and breeds are just not 'bright white' and won't be no matter how much you wash it. It's a breed and specific genetics thing. Some breeds also have white fleeces but are bred for other traits that make for the 'golden fleece'. Used to be a big deal.

I've been super busy so very little spinning for me. While back when it was overcast and still muddy from days of rain I was out in front of the barn skirting fleeces. We added to the roof for a nice covered area to do shearing, etc. I set up two folding tables on the shearing floor and skirt there. I do have some 'destash' red Corriedale top on the wheel waiting for me to come back. Have some grey I'm thinking to ply it with to tone down the red. Have a pound of both so it'll be a little time to finish when I can get back to it.

You are so right about not all white being white, the white Shetland is vastly different from the white Cotswold locks.

Am loving more and more to just use the color the wool comes in, my little Vikings suit the natural colors nicely. https://photos.app.goo.gl/oUYx1diJYbPfF224A

Felted a super long and wide strip of Shetland dark blue on light blue (no idea the proper color names yet :oops: ) as a start to the wool quilt I want to make but it went to mum instead, she can wrap her hips with it when they hurt and the pain eases or, sometimes, goes away.

We discovered, quite by accident, that if you have an ache or pain then undyed wool felt or a tanned rabbit hide placed on the ache will relieve the pain considerably. The rabbit hide, fur side to the body, works best but the felt is right behind for relief so well worth trying.

Do you have to put any salve or anything on the felt or wool to make it take away aches? Do you think it's from the extra warmth?

hotzcatz":2k83lyro said:
Do you have to put any salve or anything on the felt or wool to make it take away aches? Do you think it's from the extra warmth?

No salve or anything, just the wool felt or rabbit hide on the ache or pain.

It might be the extra warmth assisting blood flow to the area that gives relief but the doesn't explain why it works in the bed where one is already warm. A bit of a mystery but it really does work.

Thank goodness it does. :D

Back