Sneezing, no discharge - Bordetella?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kotapony

Reaction score
I sold an 8 week old kit on Tuesday. Today the buyer contacts me and says he’s been sneezing all week. She says:

Barely anything (of discharge). Eye has maybe pinprick of crust once a day. Sneezes come and go. Sometimes he's fine for hours. Sometimes it's a couple in a row, or so. Maybe 12ish times a day?

Eating drinking playing all completely normal. Poop looks great and he's eating his cecotropes. All normal

I can't tell if he's lethargic, he plays pretty hard and long and then gets tired .. which seems pretty normal

And she throws out the possibility of Bordetella. My thought would be environmental. My rabbits are outside in a barn in wire floor cages. Kit is now a house bunny.

I have 2 does and a buck I got in December. 1 litter so far from each doe. Haven’t lost any kits, and no sneezing here in anything nor any other signs of illness that I’ve seen. I don’t know anything about Bordetella. Could it be hiding in the rabbits here? Should I be concerned? She asked if I thought she should take the kit to the vet, but given there is no discharge and rabbit is acting normally and eating/pooping fine, I said I would personally not run to the vet. That said, I’m a farmer and she seems to be a house rabbit /pet person. (Not saying that’s bad, just a very different mentality.)

She plans to try him on Vet Rx, whatever that is.

I admit to being a rabbit novice, so any advice or thoughts on the situation would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Maybe her hay is dusty or if they are doing renovation that could also be the source.
If the paws are crusty, I'd be concerned but if they arent I'd look at the environement too.
If she intends to try medication reguardless, have her bring it to the vet. A noob trying to do good could end up killing her rabbit and then blaming you for it.

I sold an 8 week old kit on Tuesday. Today the buyer contacts me and says he’s been sneezing all week. She says:

And she throws out the possibility of Bordetella. My thought would be environmental. My rabbits are outside in a barn in wire floor cages. Kit is now a house bunny.

I have 2 does and a buck I got in December. 1 litter so far from each doe. Haven’t lost any kits, and no sneezing here in anything nor any other signs of illness that I’ve seen. I don’t know anything about Bordetella. Could it be hiding in the rabbits here? Should I be concerned? She asked if I thought she should take the kit to the vet, but given there is no discharge and rabbit is acting normally and eating/pooping fine, I said I would personally not run to the vet. That said, I’m a farmer and she seems to be a house rabbit /pet person. (Not saying that’s bad, just a very different mentality.)

She plans to try him on Vet Rx, whatever that is.

I admit to being a rabbit novice, so any advice or thoughts on the situation would be appreciated. Thanks all!
I've had rabbits that seriously had seasonal allergies, could that be something going on? If I can get fragrance, dust, and season allergies and some of my rabbits reacted the same lol, vet told me to try taking away the stuff in their environments and we did that, it cleared up!

It could just be the new environment that the rabbit isn't used to. If she's keeping the rabbit in the house it's now being exposed to all sorts of unfamiliar things concentrated in the air like deodorants, laundry soap and fabric softener fragrances, spices used in cooking, dander from other pets, etc.

Thank you for the thoughts, but this is an old thread. I never heard any more from her, so I assume it ended well.

Several litters later and everything I have is still perfectly healthy and thriving. No one else has ever come back to me with issues, so I still think it was something environmental with this case.

I would assume snuffles. It is easily caught by indoor rabbits. My own rabbits had the same kind of thing going on. I used Vet RX also but I didn't feel like it totally cleared it up and I brought the main Bun to the vet who gave me some sulfa trimeth for them. Seem to be doing much better on it...only on day 4 of 7. Vet also gave me the dosage of benadryl just in case in was allergies too.

So there's the answer if anyone has a similiar experience.

Recently a rabbit was sneezing up a storm in a group cage. I was going to medicate her after isolating her. I noticed she stopped sneezing in isolation. It turned out that she was sneezing after she used the water bowl.

Back