Most Showy Breed(s) To Exhibit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice

Reaction score
Hi! I'm trying to figure out what breed I want to show and eventually breed. I primarily want to breed for show, but the culls will go to pet homes. Since I'm trying to show rabbits successfully, I just want some insight on what are the most showy and competitive breeds to exhibit. I saw that havanas are a very show worthy opponent and how the breed standard is almost perfected (or something like that).

Is there any other breeds like this?

It depends on your area. The more popular the breed, the more competitive they tend to be. Marked breeds can be difficult to show sometimes because the markings are harder to breed consistently than type. Dwarf breeds (holland lop, netherland dwarf) take a while to mature. They are often very competitive just because there's so many of them that there are a lot of top breeders, but they aren't as easy to breed as some non-dwarf breeds. There are some very nice havanas out there. Florida whites as well. It depends a lot on how popular breeds are in your area; at the top level there's competitive rabbits in every breed but with the less common breeds you'd have to look further to find them.

Thank you! Hollands and Mini Rexes are pretty common in my area (like literally everywhere lol). Also I found out about a REALLY great breeder that is very surprisingly only a little bit away from me! They raise Florida Whites, Havanas, Mini Satins, American Sables, New Zealand's, and Standard Chins! They currently have 43 BOB/BOS wins at ARBA conventions or breed nationals!
If they are still breeding this would be amazing for me! :D

Hi! I'm trying to figure out what breed I want to show and eventually breed. I primarily want to breed for show, but the culls will go to pet homes. Since I'm trying to show rabbits successfully, I just want some insight on what are the most showy and competitive breeds to exhibit. I saw that havanas are a very show worthy opponent and how the breed standard is almost perfected (or something like that).

Is there any other breeds like this?

It depends on what you like more than anything.
Every breed is spectacular in its own right after all. Do you want a particular fur type, or body type?
my suggestion is to attend a show and see what appeals to you the most.

Considering the other half of your plan - the culls going to pet homes - find out what breed is most desired for pets in your area. If you can breed a lot of rabbits, then you'll get better ones. If you can easily sell the non-show ones, then you can breed more.

Back