Blue Vienna Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzeno90

Reaction score
I got myself a nice young pair. Never had them before as they are rare in my region.
I don't know if they are good for farming meat but i will try it .
Does anybody else use this breed?

I dont like big rabbits, I tried meat breeds before and rly felt miserable while caring for em. Now I breed lionheads and english angoras. My lionheads arent pure and many are dwarf crosses. For my meat needs, I've found a 3 to 4lbs rabbit is best. If smaller, I just put 2 together in the same batch, if bigger.... well that only happens when I cull a retired adult and the meat is thougher cause of the age obviously so my father doesnt eat them and I end up having to eat it all by myself over 6 or 7 meals minimum. So what breed you choose for meat rly doesnt matter if it's just for your household. Just pick one you enjoy.

Its not for my household , I already have new zealand whites which i sell and now i will try this breed out.
@KimitsuKouseki you have a bunch of interesting rabbits

dzeno90":18z3d30h said:
Its not for my household , I already have new zealand whites which i sell and now i will try this breed out.
@KimitsuKouseki you have a bunch of interesting rabbits
Then all you can do is try them out a while and see what they are like if no one can advise you on em. You have a good meat breed to compare them to at least.

My website is grossely out of date XD many changes were made, I keep trying to catch up on updating it but I always fail lol. Short version is:
- Theo and Oni are gone,
- I still have Nikita but she's retired,
- I have another angora lionhead BEW cross named LittleRam,
- I kept a single mane male from one of my litters, named him Lécureuil. I dont actually need him for any of my projects XD I'm pretenting to myself that he'll be a good buck for my bigger girls lol. He's Theo and Eva's son, chestnut colored but what's amasing is his weight. At 7 months old, he's only 2.3lbs when his mom is my smallest doe at 3.75lbs and the dad was about 4lbs. He's also got a great personality so I just couldnt resist. He's literally the smallest adult I've ever produced in 3 years of breeding.
- I also have 3 tans now, 2 males and 1 female. Pharoh is a chocolate tan buck, bigger than the other 2. The other 2 are black tans, already tested them and they both carry chocolate. They have unknown origins so I dont know how old they are exacly or if they are related to each other sadly so I dont plan to breed them to each other. I just need em for the color to cross with my lions anyways for one of my projects. The rufus would take too many generations to bring out in my lions by themselves otherwise.

ladysown":2b63cdd6 said:
the vienna blue rabbit breed? those would be pretty to raise

yes they are pretty but my focus is on their meat and fur ..
You have pretty rabbits too , i had an orange lop rabbit as my pet

dzeno90":c223phcr said:
ladysown":c223phcr said:
the vienna blue rabbit breed? those would be pretty to raise

yes they are pretty but my focus is on their meat and fur ..
You have pretty rabbits too , i had an orange lop rabbit as my pet

I have raised many breeds of meat rabbits, including a few "Vienna Blue".
The ones I had were great...
With that said... there is as much difference between rabbits within a breed,
as there is between breeds. When I raised for both "meat and fur"[long ago],
constant evaluation was important.
Breed stock evaluation, is even more important nowadays, as many "meat rabbit lines"
come from backyard, or pet breeders.
Some of these breeders are very knowledgeable, and conscientious .
Others, may not actually know who the father of the litter is,
so they write down whatever looks like the best pedigree, for sales purposes..

My point is, .. take a look at the conformation of "your rabbits",
evaluate the fur quality of "your rabbits", - and go on from there...

Back