How long can same sex littermates share the same cage for?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim S

Reaction score
I think I've read 3 months for the bucks, but I'm less certain I've seen this in relation to the does?

I realise they're all individuals, but what's the youngest age you can remember having trouble, derived from sharing a cage? Bucks and does?

it as an individual as the rabbits are. Most of the time... 10-12 weeks. Sometimes you'll get a six-week-old that needs his own digs post haste. Some boys can live together in perpetuity. Rabbits always keep you on your toes.

same thing applies to girls, but often girls will be fine until 4 months (no later than that for me since I mostly raise hollands and they mature at 18-20 weeks). I did have one little girl that needed to have her own digs at five months. She was a bear until she was mature enough to breed.. .which ODDLY ENOUGH wasn't until close to seven months old. a brainless wonder that, but nice kits.

But overall, aim for 10-12 weeks but keep an eye on them. Butcher the trouble makers early if you are breeding meat rabbits, and sell the pet ones more quickly if well.. raising pets. :)

I keep my growouts up to 5-6 months, feeding mosgtly fresh forage. Doelings stay with the breeding doe pair, that is no problem. My setup is that each pair has two hutches connected by a tunnel, so if they feel like it they can always get out of sight of whoever is the problem at the moment. At high headcount times I need to disconnect the hutches for boys and girls, but they still have hidey houses and shelfs.
Does build a social structure, a working hierachy, with several steps of escalation when sorting out their pecking order, evil eye, humping, short chasings, tufts of fur flying. The last one is rather rare, and I never had a real fight among a group of does (It's instant Kung Fu when they accidentially meet one from the other group though)

Bucklings, on the other hand, are quite stupid in that regard. They kind of have a hierachy too, but it's not well accepted when hormones rage. There are more tensions. Juvenile hotspurs.
In 7 years, and about 2-4 litters per year, I had it only happen once that it escalated, came home from work to find in my group of 6 about 4-5 month old bucklings 2 crudly castrated bucks and one with his hind legs tangled in his intestines.

All rabbits get some hours of garden time at least every second day.

A lot depends on the setup, and I guess on the characters of the breeding lines too.

I've seen doelings get pregnant at 4 months, so I try to separate them from bucks before 3 just-in-case. It often seems like the boys become sexually mature later than my girls, but not always. I've never actually has a doeling get pregnant from a littermate, but I have seen bucklings get randy and try to mount their siblings much younger than average. The earliest I've had a buckling actually succeed was 3 months. I let him breed a mature doe just out of curiosity.

Ideally, I have them all separated out at 8 weeks, but I do sometimes leave doelings with their dam longer if I don't plan on rebreeding right away. If I see any fighting at all among the boys I'll separate or eat the troublemakers right away. Bucks can do nasty stuff to one another.

I think most people in the US (who don't colony raise) plan on having their kits either eaten, sold, or given their own pens by 12-14 weeks, and as others have sorta mentioned, having a few spare pens for troublemakers is always a good idea.

The ones I'm talking about are part of a line I hoped to sell as pets, but then Covid-19 came along, and I don't fancy having strangers coming round to view them, hence I think they may hang around for somewhat longer than I'd planned.

I also have a meat rabbit line, and will have free cage space in the next week or so, but was considering breeding the doe again this week. I might hold off that, until this entire situation we're all dealing with becomes somewhat clearer.

Unless anybody has any ideas on how to potentially sell pets to people who aren't able to view them close up? I pretty much decided it wasn't worth even trying this, but perhaps other people have, and have been successful?

Back