Register

Young buck has no clue what to do

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,194.00

Young buck has no clue what to do

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Preitler » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:59 am

Hi,

my beloved, 4yo buck develops problems, don't know if it's a back injury, athritis, or a tumor of some kind, no way to find out, my vet is in full quarantine.
Anyway, I got a new buck, 9 months old. Relaxed, friendly guy. Quite exited when meeting the doe, with circling, spraying, nudging, sniffing her behind - but that's it. He just doesn't have a clue what he's supposed to do. Holding the doe just produces a very grumpy and angry doe, he does nothing, even when I shove him in position.

After a week of trying what I can come up with I got frustrated and just let them out in the garden for the day, but I'm sure he still didn't figure it out.

Too young? Anything I can do to show him the ropes?

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 12,388.00

Re: Young buck has no clue what to do

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:11 am

I used to cage a "lazy" buck, next to a good buck, and let him see how it was done,
when I bred a doe to his mate, and let them hate each other through the wire,
-- in your case -- i doubt this will help much...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Preitler

BunnyBucks: 144.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby sarai » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:45 pm

i have 4 bucks and none breed so if you have advise for me contact m :D :D :D

Site Supporter
Austria

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Preitler » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 am

Well, I got tired of trying and stuffed him into their hutch for the night every second day since then, and they got the whole daytime in the garden together. It was like he was part of the team from the first second, lots of cuddling, spraying, and no aggressions whatsoever.

I think it worked, at least one doe is digging shallow pits to cool her belly now, and she looks somewhat rounder now. Sigh, without knowing the date the waiting begins. I still keep them together at times in the hope he gets the other one too, if he didn't already.

The following user would like to thank Preitler for this post
michaels4gardens

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 130.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby WyoWool » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:15 pm

I always make sure that my breeding bucks are kept in prime condition, just as much as my breeding does.

A flabby, fat buck is always a lazy buck in my barn. So I watch their food intake as much as I do my girls. This means checks for condition, (feeling bellies and hands on evaluations) and adjusting where necessary.
I have bucks that require consistent light to get in the mood just as much as does, or an increased protein ration to become good producers.

I have never had a buck just not want to get the job done. It has always been one of the issues listed above, and when I fixed it....bam! Super producer.

The following user would like to thank WyoWool for this post
dfr1973, Preitler

Site Supporter
Austria

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Preitler » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:49 am

I underestimated that boy, had the first litter on April 14th from the younger doe, first timer, did really great :D

Her mother looks pregnant too, but hard to tell when she's due. I put a divider in during night so she can't use the occupied nestbox.

I got that buck in a pinch, no time to worry about condition, but he always had a lot of exercise, was in a run with several others.

The following user would like to thank Preitler for this post
michaels4gardens

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,189.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby kotapony » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:56 pm

:congratulations:

Glad to hear Mr. Buck figured out his job and you had a successful litter! Hoping your next doe is bred and things go smoothly as well!
~Katie

The following user would like to thank kotapony for this post
michaels4gardens