Winter Litters

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Fan

Reaction score
Let's do something fun! Anyone expecting or have some cute winter litters?

I am just counting down the days till my Steel Mini Lop Mama gives birth. She has been pulling fur and started making her nest...hopefully I will have some babies by Tuesday! :popcorn:

I have two japanese does who are due in a week, one black and one chocolate. They are proven, but it'll be their first time with me. Can't wait to see what they throw!!

Hope those litters go well. Would love to see some pictures of their babies after they're born!

Both does were over a year old, proven, but first timers for me, as I only recently acquired them. Both does built a glorious nest exactly where it should be and then produced near identical gigantic stretched-out kits. :( (The does do not share one single name on their pedigrees.) I'm going to go ahead and diagnose this as environmental instead of genetic. Most likely just too much body fat, which is easy to do with harlis. I will rebreed in about a week to keep the ball rolling for them and expect better results in march. :)

That is not fun.

The doe I was hoping on, who same as you, was proven but I just acquired her, never delivered any babies, even though she pulled some fur. Unfortunately, this is her second strike - I think I am going to have to get rid of her.

-- Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:32 am --

Finally had litter. My Chestnut agouti Mini Lop kindled ten live kits on Sunday! So far, all are alive and healthy - although there does seem to be one runt.

It looks like there are mostly black self and chestnut agouti. However, there are two colors I am not sure about. They are definitely agouti based (pink tummy, ears, etc) but I have never seen this color before.
Screenshot 2020-01-28 at 8.30.57 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-01-28 at 8.30.26 AM.png <br /><br /> -- Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:30 pm -- <br /><br /> I am getting more confused...the kits looks like it is getting shading - just like a black tort. However, it has distinct agouti markings? The sires genotype is aaB_C_ddEe and he may carry c(chl) or c(chd). The dam is AaB_C_D_Ee Enen

I have two does due soon. Hopefully we will see kits around the 20th. Both are proven but this is their first litter with me. One is a black tourt and the other is a self black. Both have red in their lines and where bred to a broken castor with red lines. Crossing my fingers. Can't wait to see what they throw!

I had a litter born yesterday!
Orange mini lop sire
BEW Mini lop dam (I think they are Holland lops in the US).

Attachments

• B7258793-8489-4ECC-803E-4249292FD678.jpeg
    B7258793-8489-4ECC-803E-4249292FD678.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 1,176
I have a litter due March 2nd from my broken blue magpie buck and REW doe, with 3 more pairings of him and a chocolate doe, him and a blue otter doe, and a blue pointed himi marked doe all due March 19-20th so in theory I might get some pretty kits in the next month :) Lots of blue/blue otter/broken blue I am guessing, possibly some black from him and the REW doe depending what she is under the white. No idea what him and the chocolate will produce so it should be fun to see what happens! All of these will likely be for meat unless I keep some to breed back to sire/dam for magpie coloring or rexed fur. I will post pictures after they kindle *fingers crossed* that they all do well

Getting ready to eval my Mini Lop kits in the upcoming week or two. :D Very happy with gold-tipped steel and one of the chestnut agoutis.
Also, planning on having babies from a chin + blue and harlequin + non-e steel in a month.
Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 10.45.20 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 10.45.05 AM.pngScreenshot 2020-02-21 at 10.44.55 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 10.43.19 AM.png

mountainrabbits":26bauudr said:
I have a litter due March 2nd from my broken blue magpie buck and REW doe, with 3 more pairings of him and a chocolate doe, him and a blue otter doe, and a blue pointed himi marked doe all due March 19-20th so in theory I might get some pretty kits in the next month :)
Those are going to be some funnn colors.

Mini Lop Fan":3oels70f said:
<SNIP>
It looks like there are mostly black self and chestnut agouti. However, there are two colors I am not sure about. They are definitely agouti based (pink tummy, ears, etc) but I have never seen this color before.
View attachment 1

-- Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:30 pm --

I am getting more confused...the kits looks like it is getting shading - just like a black tort. However, it has distinct agouti markings? The sires genotype is aaB_C_ddEe and he may carry c(chl) or c(chd). The dam is AaB_C_D_Ee Enen

An agouti 'tort' is usually a fawn, which is: A_ _ C_ D_ ee. Another option for an agouti based color would be Chocolate Agouti, sometimes called 'Cinnamon', but with the genotype that you wrote, a fawn would be more likely since Choc. Agouti/Cinnamon is A_ bb C_ D_ E_. If it is Cinnamon, though, then you'd know both the buck and doe both have the chocolate recessive.

-- Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:58 pm --

Here's the first litter we've had here so far this year. They were born yesterday on 2-20-2020 so their birthday will be pretty easy to remember.

asterbcday2b.jpg

asterbcday2.jpg

This is a litter from a first time mum. She's an 11 month old English angora and seems to be doing a fine job so far. She had a litter of four, these three plus a DOA black one. Which, come to think of it, did seem to be elongated somehow? What's that all about? But, she's on Day Two and the three are still there and very well fed fat little hippos they are.

Awwww, so fun seeing all the pictures of the adorable little babies! Here’s my only litter so far, Polish kits 9 days old.

carrotkits2.jpeg

Even though it was my first time seeing it, (and was twice as surprising to see it happen simultaneously in two unrelated does,) I can thank RT for teaching me how to handle does who produce oversized stretched-out kits. A little bit of a diet, and fairly speedy breed-back seems to have solved the problem nicely. :D

Just a quick peek for today, 10 lovely little kits. <3 Parents are black japanese X blue japanese . They look awfully light, but they are two days early, so.. Perhaps there are blacks in there. Still awaiting the second litter. :popcorn:

Attachments

• 86661810_595451771310878_8683775461299322880_n.jpg
    86661810_595451771310878_8683775461299322880_n.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 594
:shock: Wow that is a lot of kits! I forget that the meat and larger breeds have such big litters. :oops: :lol: Congratulations! Any of them have the perfect face split? Those are the cutest.

Mini Lop Fan":chp42q1q said:
:shock: Wow that is a lot of kits! I forget that the meat and larger breeds have such big litters. :oops: :lol: Congratulations! Any of them have the perfect face split? Those are the cutest.

These little guys were a few days early, and the does milk was taking its time coming in. I ended up culling a couple non thriving kits, bringing the litter down to 8 to help ease the situation. Harlis don't seem to make as much milk as the meat buns I've kept in the past.

All are blacks though, just showing me they looked super light at first due to their early b-day. The second doe missed again. She gets one more try.

I'm not terribly impressed by this litter.. Would definitely prefer cleaner markings, but in all, it's a pretty average looking jap litter.

Attachments

• 88984269_189423925698017_7325270248943255552_n.jpg
    88984269_189423925698017_7325270248943255552_n.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 564
rosecaesar2days.jpg

I'd thought the doe hadn't had a litter, so I bred two more and then when checking the nest box to see if it was clean enough for the next doe to use, I found these five under a big clump of wool that kept the top of the nest from moving. Woot! One REW, two black and two torts. English angoras. Now I've got two more does to find a nesting space for, oops!

Here's the same litter a day or two later, the torts are much more tort-like:

rosecaesar4days.jpg

Love seeing all these kits! Especially the polish, one of my favorite breeds. :D
My first time chinchilla doe just had a litter of four! I am thinking three are either self blue or blue GTS and the fourth is either a REW or sable point?
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 2.07.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 2.08.15 PM.png

Latest posts

Back