Help figuring his color

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvega

Reaction score
We raise Holland Lops. When it come to color genetics, I can honestly say I know a good bit. However, this little fella has me stumped, lol. I am trying to figure out if this color could be a Blue Silver Tipped Steel or if he's a Squirrel (Blue Chinchilla).
Dam is a Black Based Frosty and Sire was Black. I know the only way he could be silver tipped is if the Sire was actually a hidden Es, but looking at his pedigree, I can't rule it out. The only thing that's throwing me off with that possibility is the belly color. He has very clear Agouti markings. The majority of the research that I've read about the Steel gene (Es) is the belly color should be darker; however, there isn't much consistency on that statement. What's throwing me off with the Squirrel possibility is the lack of banding, or at least I don't really see much banding. The banding pic is a little blurry, but the hair shaft is the same slate color from the base to almost the tip. Between the slate and the silver tip, there is a very dark slate (almost black band). Just wanted to get some thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 454
Back